? re: lice/mites

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by cookinmom, Mar 22, 2007.

1. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    My chicks are still young, but I want to be prepared. How big of a problem are mites and/or lice in a flock of 10, in a warm climate?

What do I need to have on hand or be prepared to do to make sure my chickens don't get mites or lice?

I read someone's post about sprinkling Sevin dust where they bathe. How old do they need to be to do this?

2. shandea

shandea Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2007
    From what I've read on this forum, I'm going to get some DE and sprinkle it in their dust bathing area. This link has some more info...

http://www.freshwaterorganics.com/

3. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2007
  4. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    I like the DE idea better than the Sevin. I'm leery of things that have to have a safety data sheet. I got some organic unfiltered ACV yesterday (Barnyard Dawg you were right -- it was like $5 for a quart! Not bad at all) I'm starting that in their water tomorrow morning. It tastes a lot better than the grocery store kind, too.

I think I'll get some sand and dump it out for them, put some DE on it, and that will give them a clean "bathtub" along with pest control, and (at least while they're chicks) some grit.

Does that sound like it would work to y'all?

5. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    I think you're goin to have some healthy and happy chicks cookinmom.[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by