1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

RE: Me... my Chickens... and selling.

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Arklady, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Arklady

Arklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Kansas
    I have French Cuckoo Marans. People say what is the difference. The difference is that there are an American "french" Cuckoo Marans - Marans with a french flair. Then there is the FRENCH Cuckoo Marans- original marans from France and developed in france and pure.

I don't have a problem with the way people raise their Marans however you breed them. But I do have a problem selling my Pure Breed French Cuckoo Marans like you can get them from Ideal. Because you can't! My marans are from a line purchased by a man named Bill Braden from a woman in Texas who went and purchased these Eggs from the French. These are pure French Cuckoo Marans.

I would be the third owner of Pure French Cuckoo Marans, decended from Pure eggs. They are not cheap, if you want to buy some from Bill you will pay 55$ a dozen for his eggs. That is what I did. Out of 210$ I ended up with 13 live healthy strong birds of French Descent Chickens. These birds have not been crossed with any other line with her or since Bill bought them from her.

I don't sell to just anyone. Because they think my price is too high, and that I don't have quality birds. I believe the breed speaks for itself. I want to sell to breeders wanting pure french stock, not watered down imitations.

I have studied their (the french) breeding methods and am reasonably knowlegable on how to keep breeding pure stock. I know what to look for and what to cull out. I feel my prices are fair, but if you don't want to pay it then you can get ahold of Bill at his website and buy from him. I can get you the site if your interested in his birds.

We Americans want to put our stamp on everything but we simply can't do better on everything. Sometimes others do a great job and we should let them. I think the french do a great job on these birds why mess them up.

In the mean time if you find you want some pure french stock. Email me for prices. My email address is listed under my name.

Arklady [​IMG]

2. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    Way to be Arky! The french do a lot of things right, wine, cooking, and cukoo marans to name a few. They just dont defend themselves well. and have bad memories!

Show us some pics!!

Randy

3. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    Good for you, Paula. I know of two other breeds off the top of my head that the same thing has happened to. I don't know why when some breeders import them to the U.S. they think they need to "improve" on something that has already been perfected in the founding country. I know that in most cases, it's for the almighty dollar, which is just sad. It makes you wanna smack them upside the head for being so greedy! [​IMG]

4. Arklady

Jan 30, 2007
    Kansas
    The reason for the way they breed in this country is because they want the Black copper that lays the absolute darkest eggs. But... the problem with the way they are going about it is considered wrong.

The French are not selling Brown Reds(Black Copper) to Americans, they keep those, but will sell cuckoo and watch with glee as we try to figure out how to make that color. Even the English have crummy looking Brown Reds/black copper.

Peeps in this country just think we can do it better and I am willing to give the French the kudos!

Arklady

5. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Arklady, will you only sell to breeders? Because one of the breeds I really wanted were the real Cuckoo Marans, and I'd rather get real ones than not. I can't have roosters, though, because of my neighborhood [​IMG] so I won't be raising little chicks. Just wondering, no harm if the answer is no.

6. Zylphrix

Zylphrix Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2007
    Hillsborough NC
    and here I am a fanatic for darker eggs .. I m drooling over here ! .. I applaud your sensibitlities .. my chicken mentor is an amatuer maran lover (no jokes) as am I .. hes always dissapointed in his egg color though .. hes hatched several orders from somewhere

Is this the same reason i have people telling me Barnevelders dont lay red brown (dark) eggs?

Mark

7. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    i like rir eggs.

8. SisterFlash

SisterFlash Chillin' With My Peeps

Breeding means going to the source and getting the best quality (you can afford) to start with from the people that are the experts...well that is what I do with horses. So when it comes to marans it makes sence the french would be the best.

I would love to see pics of your birds? What is the personality of your roos like?

I think I read an old post where you have red dorkings? I am also intrested in these birds. Do you breed them or did I read something crosseyed one night.

If you do have these red dorking or other dorkings it would be great to see pics of those birds too.

I know I am so demanding. [​IMG]

Barb [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2007
  9. Arklady

Jan 30, 2007
    Kansas
    Yes I also raise those. I am hoping for some good results with this seasons eggs. I got nice ones last fall but some have not gone into laying just yet. So I am hoping to see some nice white eggs.

I have one pullet that is spectacular and I hope to see exceptional eggs from and hatch some nice babes I plan on posting pictures and yes there will be some eggs for sale. Email me for prices...

I haven't taken any images just yet. But I will when I put her up in a pen with a Roo I have ready for her.

Arklady

PS I have yet to have a mean Marans roo... They are less aggressive than other breeds, based on my observation and thats with 4 pullet/5 roo ratio in one of the pens.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2007
  10. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Quote:could that be because they are FRENCH????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by