1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

RE: Oh the gardening bug

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by vebyrd36, Jan 16, 2011.

1. vebyrd36

vebyrd36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2010
    New Ringgold Pa
    So who planting what this spring??

2. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Corn, beans, squash, tomatoes, Kale, potatoes, Okra, melons, Peppers - bell & hot, beets. And I saw Coffee bean trees for sale in a seed catalog--I think I'll try potting up a couple to bring them in during the winter and who knows, maybe in 3 or 5 years I'll be roasting my own beans.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Amaranth, Corn, Beans, Squash, Melons, Carrots, Potatoes, Quinoa, Tef, Tomatoes, Peppers, Lettuce, Broccoli, Onions, Grapes, various Berries, over 30 varieties of Fruit Trees, and much more!! [​IMG]

I just planted 220 Tomato and Pepper seeds. . . All heirloom varieties too. [​IMG] (About 12 varieties each)

4. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Ut Oh... I just broke out my seed starting soil for my tomatoes [​IMG]

I have 3 kitchen carts that will be full by week's end... I promise you that! [​IMG]

5. vebyrd36

Nov 28, 2010
    New Ringgold Pa
    :yaWell i'll move out Tomatoes, Peppers, and many flowers out of the greenhouse. I will plant some taters in Feb, (14). We plan on a big garden 5 acres. We will plant 100 roses, and many many trees. You would not know we live in west Texas by looking at our landscape.[​IMG]:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]:
    [​IMG]:
    ya:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]:
    ya:
    [​IMG]:
    ya:
    ya
    weee

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  6. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    Oh dear. We still have 5 feet of snow! No planting until at least end of March.[​IMG]

7. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    We decided against more trees this year, but are adding a 50ft x 20ft new garden area that will be filled with paths and raised beds. This year our already planted trees will be on their 3rd and 4th years. We've had tons of ice and snow and down right FREEZING temps, so I hope to have a lot of crisp apples this year [​IMG] ...and even MORE peaches!!!!!

I will splurge on blueberry bushes as I lost the one I planted last year.

8. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

i plant a huge 4 part garden.
    garden 1
    3 kinds of corn, onions, potatoes, garlic, green onions, established yellow raspberry patch, carrots, beets, peanuts, leeks,

garden 2
    grapes, roses, cucumbers, easter egg gourd, luffah, 3 kinds of green beans, two kinds of peas, zucchini, summer squash, pattipan squash, pumpkin, tomatoes (few varieties), butternut squash, eggplant (2 kinds), artichokes, spagetti squash, acorn squash, watermelon, cantelope, cherry, plum, apple

garden 3
    hot peppers, bell peppers, established black berries, established blueberries, established red raspberries, Sunflowers, apple, cherry, peach, misc annual flowers, lilac, strawberries, roses, grapes, chard, two kinds of cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, lettuces, asparagus, passion fruit,

garden 4
    all my herbs, rose, chickens, quail, ducks, aquaponics project, flowers,

my container gardens
    mulberry, dwarf apple, apricot, lemon, lime, clementine, star fruit, aloes, vanilla, banana, sugarcane

the containers are interspursed among the 4 gardens. those items come inside in the fall through until it's warm enough for them to go outside again.

i am sure I am forgetting about a lot of things. that's just what we did last year. We'll probably add to it this year...and i can't get anything in the groud until april-may ish

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  9. hencrazy

hencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    I'm such a freak - I already have my entire garden and all the flower beds mapped out.

Tomatoes: big beef, sun gold, and sweet baby girl
    Potatoes: Yukon golds, fingerling, and whichever red ones are available this year
    Pole Beans: scarlotte runner, Fortex, and purple king (I think that's what they're called)
    Peas: super sugar snaps
    Peppers: california wonder and sweet banana
    Swiss Chard: fordhook giant and northern lights
    Broccoli: green goliath
    Cauliflower: snow queen
    Cabbage: haven't decided on variety yet
    Eggplants: fairytale and purple rain
    Zucchini: sweet gourmet, sweet zuke, and the non-hybrid that I keep the seeds from every year - I don't even know the name of it anymore
    Squash: waltham butternut, table ace acorn, and hosta la pasta
    Cucumbers: sweeter yet and straight eight
    Onions: walla walla and yellow Spanish
    Radishes: cherry belle
    Kohlrabi: early white vienna
    An assortment of greens, lettuce, carrots, and herbs. I think that's about it.

10. vebyrd36

Nov 28, 2010
    New Ringgold Pa
    I'll be a freak with you. So are you going to make your own fertilizer? I usually use koi pond water with some poop from cows, chicks. and horses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by