re-post/update cold feet and loss of roosting reflex

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by prepare2xl, Sep 10, 2010.

1. prepare2xl

prepare2xl New Egg

Aug 12, 2010
    I posted 8/24 with the above subject, "Cold feet and loss of roosting reflex". There have been no responses.

I'd like to update the story and again ask for insight: The little Brahma died. The Ameraucana is still alive, alert, eating, drinking, pooping, social. She had been improving in strength, energy, and walking balance through yesterday. Today her more affected foot is curled and dragging, which tips her over. This is dismaying!!

Another Ameraucana has been "sleepy" for the last week, not roosting, and a little unsteady. Whatever the toxin/virus/deficiency is, the effects are more mild with subsequent cases. I have continued to add a Vitamin B supplement to the water, offer a variety of weed clippings, provide Purina medicated starter-grower rations free choice, and have a grit box available.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'm afraid you're not getting answers because no one knows. There are so many chicken diseases. I have no idea what else you could try, if anything. Sorry.

3. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    POOR GIRLS could it be a weed you threw them... Maybie one bad for them snuck inside and was thrown in with the rest?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by