RE: Silkies Gender???????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChickNLittle, May 14, 2008.

1. ChickNLittle

ChickNLittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    I need someone to tell me how you tell on Silkies whether they are a roo or a hen? Especially when they are only a month old. Is there a way? I'm trying to figure out how many of each I "might" have. I have twenty in the bator, but we had a power outage for about 4 hours, so I'm hoping for another decent hatch and crossing my fingers. If anyone has a pic of a silkie roo and a silkie hen, can you post one for me? Even if they are older? Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    HA! Good luck with that [​IMG]

Seriously though, there are a few silkie people on here who seem to be able to tell sooner than others.

Not a guarantee...... but, they say, males feather more slowly, have thicker feet/legs, puffy combs, and the feathers on their heads once they start coming in tend to lay back instead of straight up and out. (did that make sense)

3. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Its can be nearly impossible to sex month-old silkies. These silkies are about 22 weeks old, and I've just recently decided that I think I know the sex on these two lol.

Here's the cockerel:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the pullet (sorry her crest is a little wet lol):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's both of them together:
    [​IMG]

4. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY