RE: Skinning versus plucking.

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Denninmi, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Well, I'm a convert big time to skinning after today's experience. Plucking takes FOREVER, even on a relatively small bird. Skinning is really fast and simple.

So, unless I plan on using the bird for an application where the skin is needed, roasting or rotisserie, its bye bye skin.

Just thought I'd throw that out there -- so fast and easy versus plucking.

2. jenny_kap

jenny_kap Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Romania
    i love the skin of the birds, so this is not an option for me.

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I found the plucking to be almost effortless and quick....sort of like wiping the feathers off instead of having to pluck. Maybe you didn't scald at the right temps or for long enough? For me, plucking was definitely quicker than skinning.

4. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Quote:I've plucked birds before, and its just the entire process that's a lot of work -- getting the heated water, doing the dunking, etc.

But, with this particular batch, at 5 weeks, with a bazillion pin feathers, I just wasn't going there.

5. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    I like to skin or pluck dependent on what the end purpose is. I'm so used to plucking now, it's not much of a chore. I've found older birds have tougher skin, so I skin them since I won't be roasting with skin, and I'll skin out small birds if I don't plan on roasting whole. I plucked all of the CX since I knew I was going to want some nice crispy chicken skin [​IMG]

6. Salt and Light

Salt and Light Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Osteen, FL
    I do both. I pluck the bird using a drill plucker then skin the breast. I once dry plucked a bird and what a pain that was.

The drill plucker does a quick, easy and good job over about 95% of the bird.

It all comes down to the right scald. Learned that here on BYC!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by