re-treatment of splay leg?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by buffbeauty, Jun 27, 2010.

1. buffbeauty

buffbeauty Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Central Arkansas
    Ok I have a chick that is about 1.5 weeks old. It was born with curled toes and somewhat splayed legs, not completely straddled though as some pictures show, but the left was worse thatn the right. So I did the banaids on the legs for the splay legs and taped his feet and made him "snowshoes" for the curled toes. Both problems resolved. I put the chick in with the others yesterday because he has picked up weight and getting around good and seemed OK, but just now on moving them to a bigger brooder I noticed that his left leg is slightly splayed looking again. Do I pull him out of the big brooder, back to the infirmary, and retape his legs or do you think being in a bigger brooder with more room to move around that the leg will strengthen and get back under him.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I would keep treating the leg if it is tolerating it (eating, drinking). Good luck

3. Pheonix Rising

Pheonix Rising Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2010
    What is the bedding in the larger brooder? Newspaper?

4. buffbeauty

May 13, 2010
    Central Arkansas
    No they were in a plastic tote with pine shavings, but I moved them actually into the coop and have it closed off like a brooder so it is linoleum with pine shavings. Just went and checked on him again and seems to be doing some better, but not completely

5. dragonlair

dragonlair Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    How did you tape the splayed leg? I have a chick the same age with that problem but I can't figure out how to help her!

6. buffbeauty

May 13, 2010
    Central Arkansas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by