Re:"What Breed or Gender is this," forum- can OLD posts?

drumstick diva

Still crazy after all these years.
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Aug 26, 2009
Out to pasture
Often the first two three pages of the Breed or Gender forum are packed with responses to old, old threads which makes it difficult to find and answer recent posts.

I realize the older -really old posts often have some nuggets of info that can be beneficial when researching breeds. Often new folks respond to them as though they could get opinions from the starter. Starters are usually long gone. If these old post were corralled into a special section for them it wouldn't impede access to the new inquiries.

Does staff have any ideas about dealing with this? I'm sure I am not alone in this regard.

This is a great example of forum / thread management items that have a lot of different opinions. Some people feel that all old threads, regardless of the usefulness, topic, etc. should be closed after xyz days. Some feel that all threads should be open all the time. I tend to lean a bit towards the latter.

In my experience, thread activity is usually self-selective. Interesting stuff bubbles up while stuff that people don't find interesting gets archived (buried) down the list. It's not a perfect system, but is the most hands-off and free-flowing... which I think is good for the community.

Also, we've seen cases where people who have drifted away from our community have an old thread responded to, then come back years later when someone replies. It's always great to see old faces and get updates!

Back
Top Bottom