Re-working my website... I would love Comments

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by call ducks, Dec 28, 2010.

1. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    So me being the web geek i am i was not happy with my past website, it's ok ( http://silvervalleypoultry.com ) not all the pages are complete or available ( you may get "404 error) so here it is http://test.silvervalleypoultry.com/ this is my "test" one so it is "live" but not the main website.

So what do you think about it? Warning you Spelling may not be correct.

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

The test pages load up using the whole screen but most everything is off center to the left of the screen leaving big gaps on the right. The regular one looks better but used less of the screen.

I have to ask how you do that test.website.com thing. Are you using a different server for that or is it loaded using the same server?

3. call ducks

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Quote:Ok, on my screen every thing is aligned to the left, of course the text goes across the whole page. The other website was made with a WYSIWYG, but for a WYSIWYG has decent source. My new one has been made with "Pure" All HTML.

I have to ask how you do that test.website.com thing. Are you using a different server for that or is it loaded using the same server?

I have it set up on the same server (along with 2 other websites) for this one it's like /public_html/test is the root path (with some of the root path taken out)

ETA,
    Rebel i see you used Tables to design your website. I was thinking about doing that But, am not sure i want to.​

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  4. BlacksheepCardigans

BlacksheepCardigans Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    Southeast NH
    Their hosting company allows them to use subdomains (that's the test.whatever.com). Some hosting companies do, but others keep you to subfolders (so it's whatever.com/test). You need to check with your hosting company.

5. call ducks

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Quote:How is it showing up on your screen? I may have to go with tables, but don't wan't if i don't have to.

6. AK Michelle

AK Michelle Bad Girl of the North

Mar 17, 2009
    Palmer, Alaska
    Ducky, as always, I'm proud and impressed. I facebooked you some edits.

Keep up the good work, [​IMG]

7. TM Chickens

TM Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Alabama
    If you don't want to use tables for your layout, Dynamic Drive has some great css layouts that you can use.

8. call ducks

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Quote:Thank's i wanted to do some thing like it but i am just learning CSS [​IMG] Now to figure this out Hummm

9. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Yea, I use tables. Frankly I dont know enough about HTML to build a web page that looks good without them. I use Kompozer for most of it. I use I-frames to on some pages. I also use "Server side add". Only the center of the page is on the webpage files. The top, both sides an the bottom are all separate text files that the server adds to the page when it serves them out. That way I can change that stuff on every page easy.

I dont use a hosting company. My server is here. Never crossed my mine that I could run more than one site on it.

10. TM Chickens

TM Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Alabama
    Quote:Thank's i wanted to do some thing like it but i am just learning CSS [​IMG] Now to figure this out Hummm

Does your server have php? I might be able to whip up a quick program to automate a lot of the layout work... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by