Reaction to puppy vaccines?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by thebritt, Aug 21, 2010.

1. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    My 19 week old puppy just got his last series of puppy shots - DHLPP and rabies - and about 1/2 hour later started acting really strange...pawing at his face and ears, biting at his legs and feet, and hiding under the desk. He was fine at the vet's and in the car. DH picked him up and took him home (I have to work today), so I don't see how he's acting right now. Anyone ever have experience with a reaction to vaccines/

2. Crazyland

Crazyland Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Sandhills NC
    Very possible he is by what you are describing. Keep a very close eye on him and note the reaction to the vet.
    Since he had 2 shots at once it will be hard to tell which one he reacted to. But given that the rabies is the new shot he may not be able to be vaccinated again or a more serious reaction may occur.
    Again talk to your vet about the next course of action to protect your pup.

3. thebritt

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    Thanks, Crazyland. I just called home, and DH said he was being a pain in the butt, chasing the chickens and harassing the cats [​IMG] , so hopefully he'll be fine. I read that reactions can occur up to 48 hrs after the vaccines, so I'll be keeping a close eye on him!

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Haruko has had reactions every time she's gotten vaccines. For her puppy shots she had lots of weird behavior. Eventually we figured out she was sore all over and had a fever and didn't know what to do about it. She had one set of shots later that year and started to leak urine all over. We got pills for it and didn't connect it to vaccines. After the pills ran out the problem had stopped until she had her vaccines for this year. Now she's leaking urine every time she lays down for more than a few minutes.

5. duck walk

duck walk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    white springs, fl
    I had one puppy years ago that reacted to a vaccination within ten minutes of getting it...he broke out in mega hives all over his little self...I hit him up with a big dose of Benadryl and he calmed down and the hives disappeared within half an hour...your little guy will probably be just fine, especially since he is back to being "a pain in the butt."

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My dogs have never reacted to a vaccine, but my once feral cat has.
    By the time we got home from the vet, after she received her 2nd rabies vaccine - a 45 minute ride - she was clawing and hissing. Once in the house she ran to our bedroom and hid under the bed for about 12 hours. We keep our bedroom super dark. When I tried to bring her out of the bedroom, with her hissing and trying to bite me the whole time, she squinted her eyes and ran right back to the bedroom.
    Both cats were due for their annual vaccines, including their rabies, a few months ago. I discussed it with my vet at that time and she agreed with me that there was no reason to vaccinate again as both cats are kept strictly indoors. If one of the cats gets out we immediately go after them.
    We don't plan on having any more cats, even after these two are gone, so this solution works for us.

7. thebritt

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    Quote:I considered a Benadryl, and if he's still acting itchy when I get home, I may go with that. Thanks!

8. thebritt

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    Quote:Man, I hope that doesn't happen. Bummer!

9. HyLinda

HyLinda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Warrens, WI
    Vaccine reactions can be very serious and even deadly. I have seen too many adverse reactions to vaccines in both animals and people. My little cousin was at death's door for over a week from his 1 year vaccination. My horse has suffered life-long severe allergies from vaccinations.

Please educate yourselves on both the pros and cons before you vaccinate.

Just type "pet vaccination dangers" in GOOGLE.

10. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I bet you could find the vaccine inserts online for the animal ones.Should list a slew of adverse reactions in there,but ofcourse the insert doesn't mention everything.I had past cats react to vaccines when I gave them.No longer do for the newer ones.Consider titers or limited vaccines in the future if the dog continues to have issues following vaccines. Healthy vibes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by