1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Read about how our Rhode Island Red rooster attacked my grandson!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Arkiehinny, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Arkiehinny

Arkiehinny New Egg

Nov 10, 2010
    SW ARkansas
    Well, heck.....it happened. My 4 year old grandson was attacked by the rooster! He now carries a stick with him when the chickens are out! I hope you will enjoy the story.....it didn't have a tragic ending for my grandson nor the rooster!

I wrote about it here at this link:
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Rooster-Attack

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Small children and roosters should never mix. Glad your grandson wasn't hurt, but even a rooster's toenails can do some damage without involving the spurs. Small kids make sudden, jerky movements and make roosters very nervous--they're probably more likely to attack a child than an adult. Best thing is to keep small kids away from roosters entirely, unless you are standing right beside them and can intervene immediately. Why the guys were laughing is a mystery--that could have been something much, much worse. I have the calmest, most gentle roosters you could imagine, however, I would never allow a child of that age near them just because of the way kids are.

3. silkieroo

silkieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Durham NH
    Wow scary... I've gotten chased by a rooster before now he's in the big chicken coop in the sky... By the way did your grandson do anything to trigger the roosters attack? He sounds like the kind of kid who might "have some fun" with the rooster such as pretending to fight him or whatever and having the rooster take it threatiningly and attack him? My sister did the lets pretend i'm a ninja beating up the bad guy rooster bit, got pecked and she couldn't figure out why luckily i was there! [​IMG] (although i did let him chase her for a second to let the lesson sink in! [​IMG]

4. Arkiehinny

Arkiehinny New Egg

Nov 10, 2010
    SW ARkansas
    I know that my grandson wasn't doing a thing to provoke the bird. He was playing with the dogs. It probablly got spooked or something. I've never known it to attack another child. Of course, he could have done something to it, and of course, his size is against him. I can see where a chicken would feel a smaller person to be challenging them to a duel. From now on, he's in the cage when the grandkids are here!

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:I agree with this 100%!! My best friend, who is not a chicken person but does enjoy seeing them brought her 2 year old granddaughter over yesterday in the midst of a disaster. She set her down in the coop, and I told her NO PICK HER UP! After losing 50% of my flock, those birds were in no shape to have a 2 year around chasing them. On the other hand, she read about my diaster and brought me 7 new chickens. [​IMG]

6. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Glad he is ok.....one of our roos got are nephew a couple of weeks ago. Made me laugh carrying the stick around is funny. I carry a snow shovel to walk by if needed or too move him out of the way and it is the same one that got my nephew. This buff orp roo pecked him in the head about 3 years old. Then my Saint knocked him off the porch my nephew rolled down the steps his head was off the edge and he body rolled he was fine though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by