1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Read any good books lately?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by desertgirl, Apr 2, 2009.

1. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    Hello-
    Newbie here. I''m starting to do my research,plan my coop etc. This site has been invaluable but I'm kind of a book learner. Can anyone suggest a good book (or two) that would help me get started and serve as the basis for my chicken library?

Thanks in advance-

Jamie;)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    My 2 favorite books in my "chicken library" are by Gail Damerow...Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens & also by her...The Chicken Health Handbook.

Hope this helps!

Dawn

3. Karlachix

Karlachix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    NorthEast
    A lot of people have "Storey’s Guide to Raising Chickens."

One book that I like that covers chickens and other animals is "Barnyard in your Backyard."

4. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    Just found Storey's book on Amazon for about $12.00-thanks!!!!!!![​IMG]

5. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Keeping Chickens by Hobson and Lewis is fun, informative, and I like the photo's.

Keep Chickens! Tending Small Flocks . . . by Barbara Kilarski is just about right for a small flock keeper and I appreciate that the author puts so much of her own experiences into the book.

Principles of Poultry Science by S. P. Rose is a good Chicken 101 Introduction to . . . textbook but it is a fairly small paperback and affordable.

Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by