1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

READ NOW!! PLEASE, RIGHT THIS MOMENT!! You might save my roo!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LittleMoon, Nov 18, 2011.

1. LittleMoon

LittleMoon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    I just found my little cochin roo Hammy ten minutes ago. Hes not stiff but his yes are closed, neck falls easily when i move him. I just tried tapping my finger on his chest, he moved, and opened his beak a bit and a small liquid came out, maybe salivia? He then moved a leg.
    I tried revitizing him with a hair dryer but he wont open his eyes, i lyed him onto his side and his legs kicked fuirously and he flapped his wings a bit and moved a tiny bit on the ground.
    Where is a chicken's heart? What could have happened to him? Is there still time?!! Are they death spasms?!! PLEASE HELP, time is essential!!!!

2. spacecowgirl

spacecowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Was he left out of the coop overnight? It kind of sounds like hypothermia. I'd bring him in the house and try to get him warm and get some food and water in him, if possible...

Good luck!!! [​IMG]

3. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    i agree, get him inside, in a quiet area, try putting drops of sugar water or gatorade on his beak-

4. LittleMoon

LittleMoon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    I found him inside the coop! In the corner, not moving!

He is unresponsive, i cant fee him! What can i do? He was fine yesterday!

He's lying nearby right now, should i just cuddle him and hope he snaps out of it? Can i jump his heart or something? Where is it? He wont move his heart part at all, those spasms or whatever where he flaps and kicks, he doesnt move his neck at all! [​IMG]

5. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    cuddle him, it will help him stay warm- i am wondering if he got bit or stung by a spider? where are you located? what are the temps like?

6. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    chickens can snap out of things that would surprise you- how is his breathing?

7. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Its hard to tell what happened to him but it sounds like he is checking out [​IMG] They flap around a bit when they are passing on. Keep him warm in the house and until he gains some strength I wouldn't try to feed him just yet. If he does regain some strength you can try feeding him scrambled eggs and maybe put some vitamins and electrolytes in his water. Best of luck to you and your roo [​IMG]

8. NatureBoy86

NatureBoy86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2011
    South Florida
    [​IMG] The swinging neck sounds as if its broken. Kicking, flapping wings, closed eyes all signs..in my opinion. I hope its something else!! Best of luck

9. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Just maybe wrap him warmly in a towel and hold him a while.....Could very well be a broken neck. Something may have startled him in the dark and he could have ran into the coop wall or ceiling........If the neck is broken, then it's just a matter of time.....I would make sure he's comfortable....

So sorry to hear this....Keep us posted

Sharon

10. Little One

Little One Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    SE Virginia
    Are his eyes still closed and head limp? Don't try to feed him liquids or solid food until he is able to hold his head up and swallow on his own. I am sorry, but he may have cancer or some disease that you can't do anything about now. Chickens are good at hiding their illness, and by the time it gets to where you know something is wrong, it's too late. Maybe wrap him in a towel and keep him upright and warm to see if it's something he can pull through.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by