Read this if you use a styrofoam incubator

KrystaWolfangel

In the Brooder
Jun 15, 2021
This is an informative post. I have an LG 9300 incubator. I have done many successful hatches with this simple machine. I want to say that my current hatch is 8 Muscovy ducklings and 14 pekin ducklings. All successfully hatched. I do however want to report an anomaly I encountered with this hatch. During the hatching stage, I had the humidity higher than I ever have before. I usually keep it around 70%. For this hatch, I allowed the humidity to be higher at around over 75%. When a duckling hatched, the humidity would increase to 80% or more. I actually had condensation form on one of the observation windows. When the humidity got up this high, my incubator suddenly and silently started to increase its temperature up to 111 degrees BUT the temperature panel attached to the machine showed the temperature was still around 99 degrees. I have NEVER had a temperature spike in this machine. The only reason I caught the increase in temperature in the incubator was because I use two extra thermometers to monitor internal temperature! If I did NOT use extra thermometers, I would NOT have know that the thermometer attached to the LG incubator was shorting-out due to such high humidity.
When I realized there was a pattern to the deadly temperature spikes, I reduced the humidity to 65%. I have not seen a temperature spike since and it has been 24 hours.
I will now always keep my humidity below 70%, which has always worked for me in this machine.
I want to repeat this part: my machine gauge attached to the LG machine did NOT reflect the ACTUAL internal temperature in the incubator! The temperature gauge attached to the machine showed the machines internal was around 99.5. The reason I saw the temperature spikes was because I have 2 extra thermometers in the incubator to monitor temperature. Without these extra thermometers, I would not have know the incubator was malfunctioning and increasing the temperature to 111 degrees!
Do take care. Hope this help others who encounter dangerous temperature spikes during hatching stage.

Last edited:
You are welcome! I am on a second run of the incubator and after 18 days with humidity less than 65, I have had no temperature spikes at all. It was the high humidity (70 to 85+) during my last hatch that caused the temperature spikes for sure! Take care!

This is an informative post. I have an LG 9300 incubator. I have done many successful hatches with this simple machine. I want to say that my current hatch is 8 Muscovy ducklings and 14 pekin ducklings. All successfully hatched. I do however want to report an anomaly I encountered with this hatch. During the hatching stage, I had the humidity higher than I ever have before. I usually keep it around 70%. For this hatch, I allowed the humidity to be higher at around over 75%. When a duckling hatched, the humidity would increase to 80% or more. I actually had condensation form on one of the observation windows. When the humidity got up this high, my incubator suddenly and silently started to increase its temperature up to 111 degrees BUT the temperature panel attached to the machine showed the temperature was still around 99 degrees. I have NEVER had a temperature spike in this machine. The only reason I caught the increase in temperature in the incubator was because I use two extra thermometers to monitor internal temperature! If I did NOT use extra thermometers, I would NOT have know that the thermometer attached to the LG incubator was shorting-out due to such high humidity.
When I realized there was a pattern to the deadly temperature spikes, I reduced the humidity to 65%. I have not seen a temperature spike since and it has been 24 hours.
I will now always keep my humidity below 70%, which has always worked for me in this machine.
I want to repeat this part: my machine gauge attached to the LG machine did NOT reflect the ACTUAL internal temperature in the incubator! The temperature gauge attached to the machine showed the machines internal was around 99.5. The reason I saw the temperature spikes was because I have 2 extra thermometers in the incubator to monitor temperature. Without these extra thermometers, I would not have know the incubator was malfunctioning and increasing the temperature to 111 degrees!
Do take care. Hope this help others who encounter dangerous temperature spikes during hatching stage.
Thank you for the info. I'm having a terrible time with mine. We had our power cut off for about 5 hours & my success rate has plummeted. My husband says I can't sue PG&E for lost ducklingsbut I'm tempted. Did"nt have this much trouble last spring.

Back
Top Bottom