1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Reading Auctions on Ebay

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by greenfamilyfarms, Feb 8, 2009.

1. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I have had problems with people not reading my auctions all the way through on Ebay. Then, they email or call and are upset because they didn't "know" what they were getting? What are some friendly suggestions to help with this issue?

I know this is vague, but I don't want to spill all the details out of the consideration of others feelings and opinions.

2. Sylvie

Sylvie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    Ohio
    Maybe place a disclaimer in there that reminds them to read the entire description and ask questions before bidding? Somewhere prominent so they have to read it first? I've seen those but I always read everything before I bid, anyhow.

3. greenfamilyfarms

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  4. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Make a large, bold, different color statement at the very beginning of the item description that states something to the effect of "read item description thoroughly and completely", and at the end of the description state that as you have completely and thoroughly described your items, sales are final (if indeed that is what you want to do; some folks on ebay do returns/exchanges, others do not). If they grumble afterward, they have no real excuse. [​IMG]

5. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Don't even get me started [​IMG] I had a pair of boots for sale, and explained that I was selling them because they didn't fit. I must have had 14 e-mails asking 'do you have these in a size ...'? Sure, I liked them so much I bought them in every size [​IMG]

For eggs I do write that if someone is not willing to accept the risks of hatching shipped eggs, then i'd rather they did not bid. Despite that, there was the lady that accused me of everything from sending her infertile eggs to old eggs when the hatch rate wasn't to her liking. If someone's nice about having a bad hatch, i'm perfectly happy to work with them. If they accuse me of ripping them off outright, they're on their own!

6. greenfamilyfarms

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:I agree. I'm not that hard to get along with. That goes for everything in life - if you are nice and polite, you will have that on your side.

7. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Good luck,
    Most ebayer's cant read! LOL
    I put disclaimers as too shipping in all my auctions, and tell them all the potential risk, and further stay I will not be held liable for damage once they leave here , as I cant control how they are handled or how you incubate them, but
    It never fails, just as soon as they dont have things go their way, and ALL 12 dont hatch they start to threaten leaving neg feedbacks if I dont kiss up to them........ And so on, you get the idea!
    DO NOT BID IF YOU DONT UNDERSTAND OR AGREE TO THESE TERMS, YOUR BID IS YOUR SIGNATURE STATEING YOU HAVE READ AND AGREE TO MY CONDITIONS!
    [​IMG] In bold print still does nothing??? [​IMG]

One thing that does help you with, is if the nut jobs file a paypal claim against you for one hair brained reason or another, paypal will read your listing, see the highlighted disclaimer and warning, and usually find in your favor.
    BUT, to answer your question, it's EBAY, every nut job in the world is on it, you will have a few who are hard to get along with, but dont let it discourage you. As long as you are a good seller, it'll show in the long run, Make your listings very clear! Since eBay decided to NOT let sellers leave anything BUT POSSITIVE feedback, (which is very wrong to have done, some deserve it) the buyers think everyone has to kiss up to them.
    Dont get me wrong, I am very easy going, sell a lot on Ebay, and do my absolute best to help all my customers, but some folks jsut cant be reasoned with!
    Good luck in you selling
    Aubrey

8. Black Feather

Black Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    My best suggestion is not write too much and place the pertinent information in point form. People read bullet lists more accurately and more thoroughly than when descriptions are written into paragraphs. It's a trick I use as a web developer. Get the information across to the individual in as few words as possible and use point form.

Also, don't use pretty colors ad different sized text all over the place. People won't know what's truly important if there's flashing images, pink bold lettering and all caps all over the ebay listing. It's just too much eye candy. Not that I'm saying you do this, but I see it ALL the time in ebay listings. People think it's cute, but really it's just cheesy.

UC

9. greenfamilyfarms

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:Thank you. That is very true. I'm going to modify the listing and see how it works out.

10. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sunny the Hippie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    I have had one bad experiance selling on ebay. And they put a paypal claim against me almost a month after the item was bought. And they left me good feedback, right after they recieved it. I just think they wanted some of their money back. Any way... Paypal determined that they had to return the item for a full refund.. Which they never returned the item or even contacted us. We tried many times to try to replace the item that they said was missing. But they would never agree to it.

As for me. When ever I am interested in an auction. I read the listing more than once to make sure I read it all.. If I dont understand some thing.. I ask a question.. I dont see how some people dont take the time to read listings..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by