Reading in the hospital waiting room I made new friends!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by WriterofWords, Jan 17, 2009.

1. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    While in the hospital today waiting for my son's friend I was reading the new McMurray catalog, it came in the mail today. It was the only thing in the mail today. The older man sitting next to me started talking about how he used to raise chickens in Toyah, Texas back in the '20 with his dad. One of the hens got hurt and his mom turned her into a house chicken and his dad just had fits, chickens were for eggs and eatin' not for keepin' in the house like blankety blank pet! He told me such neat stories about his mom and the hen, how it became a game between her is his father, her hubby would hide the hen and say she was in the pot, and sure enough on the stove in a pot, cool pot, was her hen. So she would put the hen thier bedroom and say they were having a hen party. It was nice to talk with him, he is 99 years old, his wife who was having surgery is 91. They live in AZ now, just are here for her surgery, but he wishes they still had chickens.

2. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    I know- I am continually amazed how far spread chickens really are. I mention getting chicks soon and someone, almost weekly, says "Oh we have chickens!" or they want put on a waiting list for eggs. I do tell them it maybe fall before the eggs come.. if then. But, hey- "A chicken in every yard!" right?

3. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    LOL I think that was a chicken in every pot!! I'd rather have a ton in the yard myself.

4. Cackel

Cackel Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    I love those old time stories

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Me too! I love to tell people about having chickens in the city limits and some of them were saying wow, I didnt know that!

Some older folks do love to tell stories what they did back in those days....if you can find an original English folk, they can tell you about the bombing and food rationing in London along with chickens and rabbits in their backyard to feed their families. I am certain one of these days, it will come back!

6. GPN

GPN Got Pheasants? Nessia

Aug 6, 2008
    Snead, Alabama
    Glad you Listened to the Elderly gentleman, most listen half way and never hear the meaning of the story!! I work with the elderly and others I work with never take time to listen to their stories!! I love to listen, even to them that I have heard a 1000 times!! Might have made his day for you to listen!!

GPN

7. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I interview war vets all the time for living histories, I started doing it in 1984 to help out the Ft. Bliss museum when I worked there and since I love to listen and hear the stories, it's not a job, it's a pleasure!

8. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't you wish he lived nearby so you could hear a few more stories?!

9. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I do, I'd love to do a living history interview with him.

10. FrChuckW

FrChuckW Father to all, Dad to none

Sep 7, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    I remember when my Great Aunts were still alive, I loved to listen to their stories about growing up and what they used to have to do. I especially loved it when they ratted out my mother and some of the things she got up to as a young girl! [​IMG]

I was at my doctor's office a while back and this older gentleman was sitting there waiting for someone and then his phone rang. It was a rooster crowing! After I got done laughing with him, he said that he did that so he could find his phone in the house, only problem was when that commercial comes on with the rooster he thinks it's his phone![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by