1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

reading some about feeding, info please

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by the3ofus+oursixchicks, Oct 2, 2011.

1. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    hey to all, just wondering what are some of the best things to feed the chickens(hens). i have read some different things. i didnt know chickens needed all the things i have read like protein and stuff. i mean i know they need healthy stuff to keep them healthy. i have read a variety of foods, so what are the best things to feed them?

2. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    A balanced commercial feed and some green feed, like grass, wheat grass or dark leafy greens from the garden is a great combination. If they already free range to get their green feed, just the balanced feed will work. They can be healthy for many years on that combination.

3. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
  4. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    They do like greens. I just got in trouble with the wife cause my chickens free range and got up to the yard and into one of the wife's flower areas. They ate the top of her day lilies. She didn't like that. But like she told me about the deer in my garden, they have to eat too. I told her the same thing about her day lilies. They didn't go over very well either.

5. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    day lilies are delicious! Try putting some in your salad, wonderful!![​IMG]

6. CarolynF

CarolynF Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    Puget Sound
    My Coop
    Definitely a commercial chicken feed appropriate for their stage of life, i.e. Layer feed if they're laying, Grower feed if they're younger. You'll definitely want to give them extra calcium either from oyster shell or crushed egg shells. And if they don't get to free range then be sure they get some kind of grit. The greens/vegetables/fruit and kitchen scraps are always welcome additions. Ours go nuts for the lawn clippings when we mow the lawn and dump some in their pen.

7. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    i already feed them the scratch feed. they free range 98% of the time so they are getting bugs,grass and who knows what all else. i just read something about someone feeding them chicken. isnt that kinda like a cow eating cow with the mad cow disease??

8. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    the3ofus+oursixchicks :

i already feed them the scratch feed. they free range 98% of the time so they are getting bugs,grass and who knows what all else. i just read something about someone feeding them chicken. isnt that kinda like a cow eating cow with the mad cow disease??

No they are omnivores and a little meat now and then gives them protein, amino acids, fats, and other things. They really don't know what they are eating, or at least they are not willing to share it with me if they do...

There was never a definite explanation of what was going on with the mad cow 'disease' lots of media hype and millions of animals slaughtered, but no real scientific evidence one way or the other. It was believed to be centered in the central nervous system, but I assume you are not feeding your chickens chicken heads. One scientist from England actually drafted a paper which showed mad cow was concentrated in areas with a particular and very rare mineral 'mix' in the soil. There was nearly a direct link, a few oddities, but the relationship was remarkable. I Read it a long time ago though, don't really remember.

I feed ours left over elk, deer, ground cow (our own) - there are regular and quite heated staring matches across the fence between the cows and chickens, and occasionally chicken - but only because we don't eat all that much chicken. They get a little bit of meat maybe once a week. One thing I would not feed them is pork, but that is just a personal thing cause pork is the closest to human and I want to sleep peacefully at night without looking over my shoulder towards the coop.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by