Reading "Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens"

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by n3kms, Jul 17, 2010.

1. n3kms

n3kms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Middle Tennessee
    Okay... Need to see if I'm getting the full picture. Book says ---it takes about 6 months to raise a chick to laying age.
    ---starting them in the spring they can lay in the fall.
    --- but in the fall they molt and don't lay eggs when they molt(maybe not their first year)
    but they need to molt to get good warm feathers for winter
    ---then without supplemental lighting they don't lay eggs in the winter.
    So.......When do they lay eggs? [​IMG]

2. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Mine started about two weeks after I just couldn't stand it any more. If memory serves me right, they laid right after I bought a dozen eggs at the store. Brats.

[​IMG]

3. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Oh... and [​IMG]

4. n3kms

Jun 28, 2010
    Middle Tennessee
    [​IMG]

5. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Quote:yep. [​IMG] .......... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

And wait until you get that first egg. You'll run around like a darn fool, showing everyone who will look how cute it is.

I think mine layed about the same time as Citygirlinthecountry. Just about a couple weeks after I couldn't take it anymore.

LOL

Welcome to the addiction ... I mean ... BYC.

Em

7. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    My Spring chicks started laying at about 6 months (around December) and layed all winter. The first-year chickens didn't moult till the following (second) summer.
    Hope this helps!
    Mary

8. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    I have the same book, it's a guide, not gospel. I've had RIRs and Barred Rocks years ago and now have Barred and Buff Rocks. All past birds were laying by Aug early Sept, 5 to 5 1/2 months. Never supplied light to keep them laying, they slowed down though. Molt took place late winter early spring, Feb, Mar. Go figure. [​IMG]

9. n3kms

Jun 28, 2010
    Middle Tennessee
    Well, I've discovered that a lot of what I've read and what I see on BYC can be quite different. I don't have chickens yet but I really want to. Planning to build coop and run this fall and get chicks in March. I'd be building it now if I hadn't broken my wrist. Thought I would try to do a very natural route with it all. But from what I see on BYC chickens don't get broody just in the spring like you think they would. Do they really take 3 months to molt and have to have extra light to lay past september in order to lay eggs?

10. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    My Polish chickens laid all winter without lights until they were 3yrs old and they molted in their second fall and that took about a month to 6 weeks I really think it depends on where you live and how the winter is...We had one year when it was very cold and the chickens I had then stopped in November and didn't start until March but that would be rare for young hens older ones normal and after they get 5 yrs old the egg count goes way down

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by