Ready for coop??

AmandaLou

Chirping
Feb 17, 2021
My 3 babies have been spending time with our two bantams, with some chasing and light pecking….. nothing that seems aggressive to me, however I’m nervous to let them sleep in the coop with them?!?! I put them with the bantams first thing this morning and all seems well so far, should I just leave them tonight and let them go into the coop with them if they will? Or should I bring them back to our porch to sleep and just continue to put them out during the day? I’m not sure how I know when they are ready to sleep in the coop!

My 3 babies have been spending time with our two bantams, with some chasing and light pecking….. nothing that seems aggressive to me, however I’m nervous to let them sleep in the coop with them?!?! I put them with the bantams first thing this morning and all seems well so far, should I just leave them tonight and let them go into the coop with them if they will? Or should I bring them back to our porch to sleep and just continue to put them out during the day? I’m not sure how I know when they are ready to sleep in the coop!
Chickens can't see in the dark, so if they are already in the coop, they should be ok to spend the night. As long as they aren't being constantly picked on, they will be fine 😉

The way I do it is I put the chicks in a cage inside the coop each night and one evening they'll just go in without me needing to cage them, that's how I know they're ready to move in with the adults. Do you have room in the coop to fence off or provide a safe spot like that?

early8.jpg
early10.jpg

About 4-5 weeks…..
They're ready if fully, or mostly feathered, & it being good, & warm outside. But pretty small to introduce to adult birds.

I grow mine to be about Bantam sized, or a little bit bigger then Bantams. So about 3½ months depending on breed.

Back
Top Bottom