Ready for laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Studio2770, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Studio2770

Studio2770 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    As I was with my 18-19 week old white leghorns, the oldest, Fiona, kinda froze and opened her wings a little when I petted her. They always run away, but I was able to pick her up without cornering her twice. Her comb and wattles are huge and red. Here she was yesterday, or I think it was yesterday.
    [​IMG]

2. Spikes Chooks

Spikes Chooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    This behaviour is called squatting - a submissive posture for a rooster to be "invited". It means she is very very close to laying - often within a week or two of beginning to squat. Yes, it makes picking them up very convenient!

If I have a need to check a chicken for anything, and she is laying, I wait till I get the squat and then pick her up easily. They like a light stroke along the back too! I always tell her what a good girl she is whilst stroking her. Good fun

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  3. Studio2770

Apr 29, 2013
    I'll try it again tomorrow. I can fit 2 fingers between her pelvic bones, I think they have widened. I put bedding and hollowed out eggs filled with dirt in the boxes to help them out.

4. Studio2770

Apr 29, 2013
    I tried it again and she squatted! She flew out of my arms and I went to get her back and she squatted again. I tried it out with the second oldest, Clara, who is really hard to catch and she squatted. I hope they have investigated the boxes already. Could I put them in the boxes to help them out?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by