Ready for some expert advice on male/female ratio.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lilmama, Jul 12, 2011.

1. lilmama

lilmama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Tell me the best scenario:

2 females with 1 male OR three females. I don't want to breed so that doesn't need to be part of the equation. I don't have room for more than three ducks.

I currently have three males to one female and it was causing problems so I have now found a new home for 1 or both of the males and also had luck finding someone to purchase adult females from. The question is do I re-home 1 or two males (and thus buy one or two new females). Make sense? If you get confused, just answer the question on the top of the post. [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    One male to two females is usually fine. Without another male around, he won't feel competitive and probably won't overbreed her. But if you want more eggs and don't want to have to worry about breeding behaviors, then go with the females. I think it's a personal choice at this point.

Be aware that when you bring the new ducks home, you'll have some work to do to get them to bond. We'll be here to help you through it. [​IMG]

3. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    I agree. 1 drake plus two females would be fine. Three ducks would also be fine.

Having said that, some drakes are more 'active' than others. Runner (I have heard) need more ducks per drake than other breeds. I can't remember if you have runners or some other breed.

4. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    Washington
    I'd lean towards all girls too, but a mellow drake with two girls should be alright. As mentioned three girls equals more eggs, which you might find really nice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by