Ready for winter.....

WIchickMama

Free Ranging
Aug 15, 2021
Western WI
I have read and gained a lot of great information here on getting coops/runs ready for winter--I have pages or notes! :bow

But does is there anything anyone does to get the chickens ready for winter? Extra protein or special diets to "beef" them up or anything?

I have read and gained a lot of great information here on getting coops/runs ready for winter--I have pages or notes! :bow

But does is there anything anyone does to get the chickens ready for winter? Extra protein or special diets to "beef" them up or anything?
Mine get the same feed all year around.
Corn will not help keep them warmer, most feed is mostly corn anyway.
They need to go to roost with a full crop of quality feed, which they will do all by themselves. Digestion of that will 'create heat'.

The only thing different I feed is during long, hard cold snaps.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-extreme-weather-spiel.75893/

Assess your ventilation...pics of your coop inside and out would help us help you with that.
If your run is roofed, you might put up some winds blocks on the run walls.
Snow removal, good to keep this in mind, so you and they have full access.

How will you keep the drinking water thawed?

My chickens really like it when I wet their regular feed until it forms a clumpy mash. Not soupy, just clumpy like wet sand. It's like a treat to them, but without being an actual treat and messing up their diet. They have a regular feeder with dry feed, but every once in a while I'll make this wet mash for them and put it in a separate trough-like feeder out in the run. I use this for temperature control, too. In the summer when it's hot, I use really cold water to wet the feed, and it helps cool them down. And in the winter, I'll make it with really really hot water, as hot as it will come out of the tap. By the time I trudge out there to the run, it has cooled enough to not burn them, but is still steamy and warm and helps them warm up in the cold. I only make as much as they'll eat in a few minutes, so I've never had it sit around and freeze (or mold).

P.S. Some people do this with warm oatmeal, but oats aren't really a chicken food to be eaten regularly in large quantities. The warm chicken feed mash achieves the same effect of offering a warm food, but without the diet complications.

Last edited:
Mine get the same feed all year around.
Corn will not help keep them warmer, most feed is mostly corn anyway.
They need to go to roost with a full crop of quality feed, which they will do all by themselves. Digestion of that will 'create heat'.

The only thing different I feed is during long, hard cold snaps.

Assess your ventilation...pics of your coop inside and out would help us help you with that.
If your run is roofed, you might put up some winds blocks on the run walls.
Snow removal, good to keep this in mind, so you and they have full access.

How will you keep the drinking water thawed?
I have a warming plate for their water and am working from home so I can go out if needed to take fresh. Snow will be snow blowed by the hubby :) The run is covered and we are planning on adding plastic to most of the side, there is enough ventilation in the run if we cover everything.

I believe I have enough ventilation in the coop but I can take pics and add.

I find once it is under 10F, they do way better on 20% protein.

If under -10F they do better with fat brought out on occasion. I just mix fat with their feed and bring it out in a pan.

Also under -10F they really need at least 10 hours of daylight, or they do not have enough time to eat and drink to stay warm.

And. . At cold temps they eat WAY MORE FEED!!! It is critical to make sure they never run out of feed or water when it is cold.

I find once it is under 10F, they do way better on 20% protein.

If under -10F they do better with fat brought out on occasion. I just mix fat with their feed and bring it out in a pan.

Also under -10F they really need at least 10 hours of daylight, or they do not have enough time to eat and drink to stay warm.

And. . At cold temps they eat WAY MORE FEED!!! It is critical to make sure they never run out of feed or water when it is cold.
Ditto Dat!

When it's near zero for extended periods, I give a weekly dose of Electrolytes/Vitamins.
It definitely perks up their consumption of water and feed.

My chickens really like it when I wet their regular feed until it forms a clumpy mash. Not soupy, just clumpy like wet sand. It's like a treat to them, but without being an actual treat and messing up their diet.
I do this almost every day. It's Chickie Snack, and I sing the Chickie Snack song.

As you said, it can be served cold in the summer, and hot in the winter. I also found it's a good way to get them to eat certain things, like yogurt or kombucha for probiotics, or electrolytes during really hot/cold spells.

Back
Top Bottom