Ready..set...go... and counting

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by addicted2chicks, Apr 30, 2009.

1. addicted2chicks

addicted2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    My eggs are in the incubator. First time hatching and I am sooo nervous. My LG still air with turner. Temps have been between 100.5-102. I am shooting for a straight 101. My only problem has been humidity. I can't get it up past 34%. I filled the cup things in the bottom and put 2 wet sponges in and still can't. So I am going with the "dry" hatching and on day 18 will add 2 more sponges and [​IMG].
    So there is 23 eggs in. This will be the longest 21 days. I am hoping for minimum of 10 to hatch. Don't want to get my hopes up for too many but I also want it to be successful.
    Here's to me...
    Oh so is tomorrow day 1? I am confused at when to start counting. If tomorrow is 1, that would be great because it will flow with the days in the month and I can't forget what day I am on.
    And all my eggs are shipped eggs from 2 different BYC'ers.

2. addicted2chicks

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    So I know I won't sleep tonight. Temps got up to where I wanted right away but did a quick spike of 102.6 but I caught it right away and within a couple minutes got it back down to under 102. But now my humidity is finally rising with the eggs in there. Which I know is good that it is up, but I am now worried it will be too much humidity with the water things filled and 2 sponges in there. I took the plugs out the top because it is rising slowly but rising. It is at 45% right now. Which I know is fine but I need to stay up now so I can see where it will stop. Told DH I suck at being a mother hen. lol.

3. mamanaturale

mamanaturale Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    spokane, wa
    hee hee, the first week was super hard for me. i would go in and check the temp and humidity like every 30min-1hr. everytime i would come out, dh would say "have they hatched yet?" [​IMG] it took me about a week to finally feel like my temp was stable enough to stop checking all the time.

4. addicted2chicks

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    I am getting so frustrated. My bator temp all day was 101.3-101.7. Thought that was doing pretty good. Decided I would switch their spots in the bator so I opened it up, moved everyone around and while having it open I decided I would move the thermometer sensor thing to stick to the top of the incubator. Closed the top and now my temps are jumping over 110. Was that not a good idea to attach it to the top of the bator? I thought it would be a more steady place to read temps but now I am wondering if the styrofoam gets hot? I am only on day 1. Were my temps high this whole time but because the sensor was on the tray was it reading low?

5. addicted2chicks

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    Well I put in 2 mercury thermometers and both read around 100. I attached the sensor to the digital thermometer to the plastic on one of the mercury ones and now the temps are about 100.5. Both mercury thermometers are laying on the eggs. I think I freaked for no reason as I am now thinking it was obviously warmer on the top of the bator.
    One thing I do have to say is after opening the bator and closing it, it gets back to temp rather quickly.
    Anyways, do you think the eggs are ok?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by