ready, set.. go!!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by EricShane, May 19, 2011.

1. EricShane

EricShane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    SouthWestern Ohio
    I put 25 of my Coturnix Eggs in the Incubator last night, and now its been a little over 24 hours! So Im going to experement and see what happens I guess! I had an accident though, I ran my incubator for 24 hours before I put my eggs in, and it maintained a good 100 degrees, and then I put my eggs and my turner in, and I accidently bumped the nodule and for the first 3 or 4 hours they were in there my temp was 102 --- do you think I cooked them? Im actually not even 100% I have a Male Quail lol.. so Im not sure my eggs are fertile for sure!

What day should I candle them? will I see veins?

2. TexasChris

TexasChris Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2011
    They will be ok. I wait till day 8 I cant see veins in coturnix eggs just a dark spot.
    Chris

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Honestly, the temp probably increased from the heat produced by the turner motor. If the incubator is still-air they will be fine, you should run still-airs a little warmer than forced-airs.

You won't see veins unless you have a really good candler AND the eggs are kind of light. Otherwise you'll just be able to see that the 'bottom' of the egg has darkened. I usually candle around day 10 and pull any obvious clears.

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  4. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Well, the eggs from rooless hens will not hatch [​IMG]
    The temp is not ideal, but not deadly. I candle between 6 and 10 days, but as Shelly says, candling coturnix eggs is difficult. Clear eggs at 10 days will not hatch. Other than that, it's anyone's guess as to what is going on in there.

I candle for a best guess at hatch-ability. Unless you see cracks in the shell, then incubating even questionable eggs should not hurt. As long as the shell is intact, then you should not get any exploding coturnix eggs. I have actually tried to explode eggs.

Most of the time you can see veins, and even on the lighter color eggs I can see the embryo move....That's a treat!

5. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    Quote:X2

6. EricShane

Apr 12, 2009
    SouthWestern Ohio
    Quote:Ok wow thanks

7. EricShane

Apr 12, 2009
    SouthWestern Ohio
    okay im at like day 14 now I think..

I tried to candle my eggs a couple days ago, I dont have a Clue as to whats going on in there!! I see on one end of the egg it looks like an air cell and the rest of the egg is dark.. so.. what does that mean?? --- also, I noticed one of my eggs when I was adding water to my bator was flipped out of the turner, idk how that could have happened, surely it wouldnt have done that itself? right? --- I guess I should stop turning them now, right? Should I take my Turner out and lay the eggs on thier side, or should I just leave them in the turner? (ive read both!) - Im so excited, all ready to goooo!!!

8. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    The eggs are developing. I've had eggs fall out if they're really big. Leave them in the turner or put them in a carton.

9. EricShane

Apr 12, 2009
    SouthWestern Ohio
    well, good news and bad news..

This morning one of my 6 adult Quails died.. I think she broke her neck or something, you know how crazy they act when something startles them..

and.. anyway, I was beginning to really wonder if my quail were even going to hatch, still didnt know if I even had a roo! lol until I got home from work was putting some water in the bator, and heard faint "pheeew pheew" --- I almost fell over! I started to panic thinking they were going to burst out of thier shell at any minute! LOL --- but........ nothing! --- I did hear another peep coming from the bator a little while ago too! --- Im at day 15, what do you guys think????? I have a loooong day at work tomorrow! so, hopefully if I have any early birds they can wait in the bator till I get home!

also..... what do you guys prefer to feed your babies??? Game Bird starter? Chick Starter? Ground Layer Crumbles?? Ive heard people use all three!?? lol...

10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    They'll be fine til you get home, they can stay up to 24 hours in the bator but the quicker you remove them, the better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by