Ready Set Hatch! Set 3/17 Hatch 4/7 - ready now! Hatch-Along

I think they'll do fine - just slowed down for the amount of time the temp was too low. Hey - look what amazing thing I found today at Goodwill...
2013-03-18_18-53-12_771.jpg

And I've even found a purpose for one of my favorite building materials - duct tape! (To cover extra light) This will be great for candling next week, for $4.

$4 What a bargain! Nice find.

Allmychickens, hope they bounce back. Cooler is better than hotter right, so depends on your ambient but I would think they will be fine, maybe a bit behind?

I don't have much experience, so really all I can offer is 'good luck eggs!'

Yay! Here I am. I set 19 eggs last night. Hm, should have added one more to make it an even 20. Oh well. So there are 6 Wheaten Marans (try #2 from this hatchery for marans, the first batch was unfertilized), 6 of my own flock's mix (BO over BR, SLW and BO - at my son's request. We hatched 7 BO/EE mixes last time), and 7 Coronation Sussex eggs from a fellow BYC'er. Hopefully all goes well. Due April 8th. Everything is stable this morning. I have three weeks to figure out how to divide the brooder.
tongue.png

I think they'll do fine - just slowed down for the amount of time the temp was too low. Hey - look what amazing thing I found today at Goodwill...
2013-03-18_18-53-12_771.jpg

And I've even found a purpose for one of my favorite building materials - duct tape! (To cover extra light) This will be great for candling next week, for $4.

Slide projector and slide cubes! I remember those! My parents still have a bunch of old slide cubes from vacations past, the 70's. Good times. What a great find. *jealous*

Last edited:
Hey guys thought I'd migrate over here! I have 26 due on the 8th of april just set yesterday at 2pm. I have 21 American Game fowl and 5 Millie Fleur D'uccle's I'm more eggsited about my D'uccles then anything. One of them has a few hair line cracks do you think it'll make it or should I get some unscented white wax to smear over them? :( I really want these guys to hatch so baddd. I had 12 to start with but my son knocked the coffee tin I had them in over, none busted when they rolled out. But they did when he thought he could toss them back in to help mommy by picking them up. ( He's only 18 months and such a mama's boy! Lol)

Hey Lady! Glad you can join us
smile.png
Okay now we can compare notes on our Wheatens from the same place
wink.png
I only have two so hoping to get a hatcher.

That would drive me nuts, having an assortment. I'd be lucky to get one to hatch and then it would be a roo, lol.

A couple of my WM eggs are pretty porous as well as a couple of the sussex eggs. I'm blaming my quitters from the last batch on a porous egg since all the eggs that were immediately surrounding it were the ones that quit. It didn't start off too bad and was alive at lock-down but it was pretty darn splotchy by day 21, more transparent than opaque. So these few make me nervous. Besides scrupulous biosecurity, hand sanitizing until my hands fall off, anyone have any tips for porous eggs? I did have the last batch mingling on the floor at lock-down, possibly touching. Maybe put them in a carton for hatching? Does standing on end affect the hatch?

Hey guys thought I'd migrate over here! I have 26 due on the 8th of april just set yesterday at 2pm. I have 21 American Game fowl and 5 Millie Fleur D'uccle's I'm more eggsited about my D'uccles then anything. One of them has a few hair line cracks do you think it'll make it or should I get some unscented white wax to smear over them? :( I really want these guys to hatch so baddd. I had 12 to start with but my son knocked the coffee tin I had them in over, none busted when they rolled out. But they did when he thought he could toss them back in to help mommy by picking them up. ( He's only 18 months and such a mama's boy! Lol)

Welcome!!! I've not tried myself but I've seen others have had luck with the melted wax. Just be sure to remove ASAP if they look weepy or smell:/

Lady - yes, I'm hoping that I got the girl eggs, not all boys in the assortment! I didn't notice my WM eggs being overly porous. I'll look again when I candle in a few days. I'm not use to looking into the dark eggs so maybe that's why I didn't notice. In that case maybe I should up my humidity a touch for porous ones...?

My porous eggs hatched just fine with the dry incubation method. :) I have one hen that always lays porous eggs, don't know why though they all get oyster shell and all that good stuff. Dunno?

Back
Top Bottom