Ready to be a chicken Mama!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Nichole45, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Nichole45

Nichole45 Just Hatched

Feb 6, 2015
    Hey there, all!

Brand new to raising chickens for meat and eggs and I can't wait to get started! Here in Idaho, we are in a large predatory area so a strong, well built but large run/coop is going to be our option. We're going to start out with maybe 6-8 birds and go from there. I have heard that these lovely birds are sort of like potato chips - you can't have just one! Or two, or three, etc..................... Welp, that's going to be me! Ooooooo, I can't wait to get going! If anyone has any good, sage advice to offer, I'm all ears!! I look forward to meeting y'all in the community here and if there's anyone in my 'backyard', then let me know!!

Be talkin' to ya!

Nic~

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    There are a couple of very good links in my sig line, written by a Canadian member for northern coops. Other than that, you should find a lot of what you need in our Learning Center. The Coops and Predators and Pets forum should be helpful for predator protection, if you need more info in that area.

Best of luck!

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined us.

I suggest taking a look at the Learning Center for information about keeping chickens: Learning Center Articles It has lots of great information for new chicken people and those that are thinking about getting chickens!

Have you thought about which breeds you want yet?[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So glad you could join our community! You will definitely want to stop by our learning center as suggested by Judy and Wyandottes. Lots of good articles on how to get started with chickens, building the coop, raising the chicks and keeping your flock happy, healthy and safe from predators. Wyandottes has left you with the link.

And yes, chickens are SO addicting!! So build your coop twice or three times bigger than you normally would as you WILL be adding more birds in no time!! :)

If you have any questions along the way, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

1 person likes this.
  5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

1 person likes this.
  6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Nic. Glad you decided to our flock. Beware of chicken math. Very few members are immune to it. :eek:) Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your flock.

1 person likes this.
  7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined the BYC "flock!"

Yes, raising chickens is very addicting. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

1 person likes this.
  9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Please use 1/2" hardware cloth anywhere you would be using wire. Chicken poultry wire is too flimsy, any predator worth his salt can chew through it or push their way in. Some type of cover will keep climbers, raptors and visitors from launching off tree branches. A solid run cover (well supported) will give some protection from rain and snow - so birds are less inclined to stay in the coop all day.

Some of the worst predators tend to be neighborhood dogs running loose. They kill just for fun and most neighbors will do nothing about stopping them. If you are in a really bad predator area you might want to consider electrified fencing- though it takes effort to keep up.

Welcome to Backyard chickens. Glad you joined the flock.

1 person likes this.
  10. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by