Ready to buy a bator, which one is the best?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lorrir, Oct 29, 2009.

1. lorrir

lorrir Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    Upstate SC
    Doing a little research on bators before I buy. I a newbie to hatching and want to get it close to right early in the game.

I would like one that has an egg turner and an air circulator. The hovabotor 1583 seems to be a popular model., but I would love to hear what everyone else has.

2. Julie_A

Julie_A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Brewton, Ala.
    I just bought that hovabator 1583. Had a good hatch percentage on an old, still-air hovabator.

I recommend those hovabators. Have read several complaints on temp regulation in LGs.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  3. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Personally, I would never buy anything other than a Genesis 1588. I bought one from Cutlersupply.com with the 1610 autoturner (quail and chicken racks) for $172 shipped. I put the racks in the autoturner, put that into the incubator, plugged it in, plugged the incubator in, added thermometer and water and tada, I was done. Took maybe 10 minutes total, if that. No tinkering with temps or humidity (the tray has two compartments, fill one for incubation, fill them both for hatching).

4. Julie_A

Julie_A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Brewton, Ala.
    Wait, I bought a Genesis, whichever model number that is.

5. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    I think there are two genesis, one has the "fool proof" thermostat, the other has the wafer.

6. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    I have a 1588 Genisis and its great.
    I have always had good results . Except when the power went off [​IMG]
    it has the auto maticc turner
    all you do is add the water and plug it in and of course
    put you eggies in. [​IMG]

7. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Small batch? Brinsea is the brand I'd buy. Best view of eggs, best automatic functioning. If I had the money the Octagon 40 with the computer link.

Medium batch - 96 - 200 eggs, see Cbiblis's homemade furniture quality custom incubators.

Large - over 300 eggs - A Cabinet Dickey or a rehabilitated Antique Redwood Cabinet bator (which is what I have).

8. aqhaktberry3

aqhaktberry3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Central FL
    I have a Genesis Hovabator 1588 with egg turner. I'm a new hatcher too. I have only done one hatch and have a 2nd in right now. I think this bator is GREAT! The temp is completely automatic and very convenient. The egg turner is great as well. It's also nice to be able to see. I HIGHLY recommend it. I did a lot of research before I bought one b.c i wanted to do it right. I have heard a lot of good things about it that's why I got it. I'm glad I made this decision. Has worked out great so far. Good luck on your search!

9. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Turn-X! That is one great incubator!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by