1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ready to go out

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kezai, May 13, 2009.

1. kezai

kezai Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2009
    My chicks are eight weeks old on Monday and the book says they're old enough to go out. They've been out in the day for a while now. When they go out at night do I close them in the enlcosed bit or leave it open till they get used to it? and do they need access to food and water at night? Sounds so soft but I'd them to die becuase I did something really stupid. And is there ever a point where its safe to let the dog free range at the same time as the chicks? Don't think she'd hurt them but she's def interested. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Polish Chickens

Polish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Houston
    I wouldn't recommend having the dog out with your flock and also you'll need to have their coop predator proofed

3. kezai

kezai Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2009
    Its standing on my patio - two feet from my back door with two dogs just inside the door - one with a loud bark. The wire is all secure and the perch part is well off the ground with hard to open with out two hand pop holes and cleaning access. A security light comes on if anything comes near. I hope that's good enough?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by