Ready to go outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NoseyChickens, Oct 24, 2009.

1. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    I have six 7 wk old chicks. All but 2 are fully feathered. It is in the 70-80 range during the day and drops to the 40's and 50's at night. I have a small coop outside with a run just for them when they are ready. It is well ventilated and I am able to fully close it up at night. Are my peeps old enough to spend the night outside without a heat lamp? They have been spending thier days out there for about a week.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If you are still using a heat lamp at all I would spend about a week weaning them off of it, then they should be fine.

3. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    No we haven't been using a heat lamp at all lately. The weather has been great and they have been roosting in the brooder and seem very comfortable without the heat lamp, even at night. We have't been running the heater in the house either and they have been doing great.

Thanks for your advice!

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yeah, the only time you can expect trouble is when they are used to a warm cozy brooder and are suddenly put outside.
    Since you already have them off their heat, I think they will do just fine in a draft free coop.

5. danab

danab Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2009
    So Cal
    I put my 4 chicks outside at 3 weeks this summer. But I live in So Cal, and it probably never got below 60 when I first put them out. I did not get much sleep that first night. But they just bundled up and slept in a tight ball.
    They still all sleep together in one nest box.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by