Ready to Jump in, I think??????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mwilley.tx, Apr 4, 2011.

1. mwilley.tx

mwilley.tx New Egg

Mar 29, 2011
    Hello all,

Looking for advise. I live in Texas, where the summers do get warm. What would be a good breed to start with for a first timer. Looking for egg layers maybe 4 - 6 birds. I was thinking of the Easter Egger, thoughts on that? Any help or insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

2. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    Sounds good. White Leghorns are good layers. Be sure to water them often,

and keep them in a shady place during hot weather. [​IMG]

3. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Do you want them to be somewhat calm and friendly, or do you just want eggs? If you want friendly birds that start laying later, get Easter Eggers. If you just want eggs, get Leghorns. [​IMG]

Welcome!

4. K8tieCat

K8tieCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Northern California
  5. lsv313

lsv313 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    Everett, WA
    Wynandottes are very calm, AND also very good layers! Buff orpingtons are very sweet and friendly and are good layers too.

6. TouchO'Lass

TouchO'Lass Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oroville, Wa
    Quote:Ooh. Really good site, K8tie. I used the chart from BYC breed selection tool and also got local input, but I was looking for cold hardy AND I'm new at this, so can't help ya with the heat hardy. I will say that Americauna's/EE's sound very adaptable, as do leghorns. Ask at the feed and seed store if there's one in your area, and this extension service might have recommendations: http://gallus.tamu.edu/extensionprograms/publications/index_publications.htm
    Good
    Luck!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by