Ready to lay??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicksinthemachine, Aug 22, 2008.

1. chicksinthemachine

chicksinthemachine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    Woke up this morning to a very red faced hen with an attitude to the rest of the flock and me! she is normally very easy going so my ? is she getting ready to lay for me? She is also going around the nest box a lot this morning I have 2 fake eggs in there and someone has made a nice little nest around them this time. Usually they just throw the straw everywhere but not this time. Good signs right?

2. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    Sounds like it is getting time for the girl to lay! Sounds like she is just trying out the nest and getting adjusted to the whole "hen thing" lol!

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My red star is almost 20 weeks now and she is squatting and acting weird. She is the only one of the bunch that looks like she is almost full grown. We keep checking for signs of eggs. Golf balls still lonely in the nest boxes.

4. chicksinthemachine

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    Went to check AGAIN and lonely fake eggs but nest still intact, hopefully tomorrow.

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    My 13 week old girls have just started getting red in the face I noticed too. I'm hoping in the next few weeks they will start to lay [​IMG] Good luck with yours!

6. chicksinthemachine

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    None bright and earlly this morning going to go outside and spend some time with them and check again. Fingers crossed I want to show everyone what my girls have done for me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by