Ready to move out; heat question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BanjosLaughter, May 20, 2019.

1. BanjosLaughter

BanjosLaughter In the Brooder

Apr 24, 2019
    My five week old ladies are ready to move out to their permanent home. They have had some "field trips" to the yard and love scratching, and chasing each other around the little temporary run. They are fully feathered. Our weather here in Ohio is bi-polar as usual (upper 80's during the day, mid 60's at night). I put a thermometer in my coop and the temperature is hitting around 88 under full sun. I have read that when moving chicks to their coop you should keep them locked in the coop for a week or more to help them learn where to return at night. I am worried about keeping them locked in an 88+ degree coop without being allowed to enter their run. The coop would be cooler if I could open the front door, however that means letting them run about. Does anyone have any wisdom? As a new chicken dad, I know I am probably worrying too much; but alas, I do the same thing with my human children..... though the state does get infinitely more upset when I lock them in the chicken coop.....

2. trumpeting_angel

trumpeting_angel Crowing

Feb 6, 2019
    Vermont
    I don’t know the answer but I know I’ll be facing this in a month, when mine move out and the weather is even warmer. I had thought about erecting my canopy (just an 8’ x 8’ tent-like thing, roof only, no sides) over the coop for extra shade. So the sun wouldn’t hit the coop itself.

How did you fashion your temporary run? Mine seem so eager to fly that I put a sheet over mine. All good till the wind blew - the billowing sheet scared them and one escaped the poultry mesh and the others tried. No harm done (she was trying to get back in when I scooped her up).

BanjosLaughter likes this.
  3. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Almy Acres Farm

Jun 26, 2014
    Corning, NY
    Is there ventilation in the coop???

4. BanjosLaughter

Apr 24, 2019
    Yes, there is a large window and a smaller window. I am going to see about cutting a third window.

5. NNYchick

NNYchick Songster

Jun 15, 2017
    Harrisville, NY
    Is there any other ventilation to open, windows maybe or maybe you can make a screen door. I definitely wouldn’t let them wander at 5 weeks.

6. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Almy Acres Farm

Jun 26, 2014
    Corning, NY
    Then, your chicks will be fine. I would only leave them in the coop for a few days. If there is a predator proof run attached to the coop, then after a couple of days, they should have the option to got out in the run.

7. trumpeting_angel

trumpeting_angel Crowing

Feb 6, 2019
    Vermont
    Making a temp screen door sounds like a great idea - using ventilation you already have!

BanjosLaughter and Chick-N-Fun like this.
  8. BanjosLaughter

Apr 24, 2019
    Here is the temp run I use.... they TRIED to jump it, but weren't able to get over.

Attached Files:

trumpeting_angel likes this.
  9. BanjosLaughter

Apr 24, 2019
    This is the run extension I built; Its still a work in progress, but its predator proof at least; the coop is going to have to be build on too; summer project.

Attached Files:

trumpeting_angel likes this.
  10. NNYchick

NNYchick Songster

Jun 15, 2017
    Harrisville, NY
    Just be sure to use hardware cloth to make it predator proof.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: