ready to SKIN MY CAT!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MamaMarcy, Oct 28, 2011.

1. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    OOOOOOMMMMMMGGGGGGG this stupid naughty kitten of mine is constantly trying to lay on the incubator. I have to keep 4 kiddo shoes on top to keep her furry butt away. She just made a FLYING LEAP and almost pulled the whole bator down, eggs and all! I literally had to leap myself to save it...and my precious eggs.

The cat might haave to go. [​IMG]

I am so cussing in my head right now. [​IMG]

2. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    You have a NAUGHTY kitten! But don't be mad! Calm down [​IMG]

You're just going to have to find a way for your cat to not have access to your incubator [​IMG]

3. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    I am so sorry. My suggestion is to get a sheet of that plastic stuff you put under rolly chairs so they will roll on carpet. That hard plastic stuff. On the underside, it has hard plastic pokies, and I imagine it would keep furry paws away from your incubator. I'm sorry for your frustration. [​IMG]

4. joneus

joneus Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Ballston Spa
    I've read that they dont like the feel of chicken wire under their feet. Maybe that will help?

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    There's more than one way.

To skin a cat. [​IMG]

6. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    chicken wire we have....i shaall give it a try!!

did I mention our cats have eaten our A key, left arrow nd esc? so typos....

7. Warrprincess688

Warrprincess688 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Danvers MA
    My cat did that, the first time I lost all my duck eggs and most were half way to hatching [​IMG] I moved my incubator to a diff spot, he still tries to get on it and peek but I make sure and reprimand him even though he was just a year old. When the babies started hatching was the worst, all he did was sit on top of the incubator and watch.
    [​IMG]

8. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2011
    A spray bottle might work to. [​IMG]

9. CrazyCatCulby

CrazyCatCulby Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2011
    southwest Michigan
    I may not be an expert on chickens, but if there's one thing I know it is cats. I have a similar problem, with my dear kitty Ralphie, who insists on napping on top of my warm fish tank. He has caused no harm, and I am a big softy, so I allow him To continue, however I shouldn't. Anyway, it is very easy to keep cats off of things. Just buy a bottle that has a squirting top, like the windex bottles, except NEVER use bottles that have ever contained any type of chemical. You can buy these at a dollar store for like a dollar or so. Fill it with plain tap water, not super hot and not freezing, no matter how much you want revenge on your cat, and squirt him/her whenever they do something bad. DONT just squirt them until there soaking wet, as this can cause bad behavior problems. Also, NEVER squirt them in the face. A neat squirt in the rump is enough to deter most cats. Also, be aware that if you squirt them while in top of the incubator, they will likely launch themselves off and it may tip it over, so you must be prepared for this the first few times. With luck, and patience, you will have a well behaved cat who leaves the tempting warmth of the incubator alone.
    Also, if you want further protection, you could get a little heat pad for you kitty, however a nice lap is usually a good source of warmth.
    I hope this helps!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  10. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    My cats knew when to be bad.... when I couldn't reach them fast enough. I'd see them through the windows doing no-no stuff, knowing I'd never get back in the house in time! [​IMG]

This may sound mean, but I used little short strips of scotch tape, sticky side up, all over the no-no places. They'd jump up onto the surface and get a sticky piece of tape on the foot or belly, get real annoyed then have to have me help them remove them. That was the only method that worked. Double stick carpet tape works too. I used that on furniture to prevent scratching. Cat's just HATE sticky stuff.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by