1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ready to start anchick raising adventure!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by cornish695, Mar 17, 2016.

1. cornish695

cornish695 New Egg

Mar 17, 2016
    New here to BYC, and am just getting ready to start raising chickens. I'm here mostly for advice on purchasing laying hens at laying age, and any direction anyone can offer in where to find them in CT!

2. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us.

The Learning Centre is a great resource, even for experienced chicken keepers - loads of info on anything chicken. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Joining your state thread will put you in contact with other BYC members in your area, which can be very helpful.

(https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread)

The members here are amazing - very friendly and helpful, so if you need an answer to a question or simply want some reassurance that what you are doing is ok, then post away - we all help each other out here at BYC.

All the best
    CT

3. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Once you have 20 posts you can use the buy-sell-trade forum, there may be some POL birds there you'd be interested in (things come & go from there quite often). It doesn't take long to get 20 or more posts...just find a thread you're interested in and join in the conversation or say hello to other new members.

Thanks for joining us, I hope you find the birds you want!

4. MBK Farm

MBK Farm Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2015
    Citrus County, Florida
    Hello and welcome. My only advice on purchasing older birds or hens at point of lay is to try to visit the actual place you will purchase from rather than an auction or flea market/swap meet. Try to personally see the status/health of their operation on your initial purchase. Remember, when buying any livestock you're also buying into a piece of the previous owner's management practices/farm and all the good and bad that goes with that. This is also the primary reason why trying to source your stock locally is a good idea. Good luck on your adventure!

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by