Ready yet ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rennie, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Rennie

Rennie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    I recently separated my young rooster from my older hens because of their "dislike" to him coming into there house, After a few days of being separated but still seeing each other through a fence ..Do you think that they might get on now?

Im asking because of the weather change here..Its getting really wet and windy and my roo is outside..I want him to have access to main coop too

Would love any quick thoughts as i would like to do it today ..

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    How young is he? If he's at or near breeding age, just leave him in with them, he may have a rough week or two, but they should eventually accect him. Just make sure they don't injure him, put some pecking, chasing, flogging, ect is to be expected when introducing new birds to an established flock. The will need a little time to reestablish the "pecking order".

3. Rennie

Rennie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    I think he is about 4 - 5 months old .. The hens are alot older bigger and stick together lol, I just dont want to cxome out to see him pecked to death..

It seems, I should stop wrapping him in cotton wool and let him fight for himself, ...looks like they better be ready for him tommorow then

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  4. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    He should be alright. Sometimes if you are introducing several it helps to do it at night. If you just have one they will notice anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by