Ready?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by neecy22, Sep 14, 2016.

1. neecy22

neecy22 Just Hatched

Jun 21, 2016
    Does this look like the face of someone ready to lay? [​IMG]

2. BarbiD

BarbiD Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2016
    Hayes, Virginia
    She's definitely redden up! But her comb and wattles look small to me BUT that could just be her breed. What is she? Does she "sit" for you?

3. neecy22

neecy22 Just Hatched

Jun 21, 2016
    She is an Easter egger, I am thinking one parent welsummer, she had next to no comb at all and no waddles a few weeks ago. She sits sometimes but not consistently. She is 19 weeks.

4. BarbiD

BarbiD Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2016
    Hayes, Virginia
    I know how excited you are! I too checked my girls combs and wattles every day for signs...but it was my roosters (God rest their little souls) that was the indicator for me. When they started mating with a pullet, she laid her first egg in a week. That may not be any help to you if you don't have a rooster...sorry! But another sign was a girl running around the yard looking for a place to "hide." One laid her first egg on my golf cart LOL. I also found first eggs on the coop and/or run floor. I bought fake eggs and put them in the nesting boxes and would place those "misplaced" eggs in with them for a day to help them understand. Eventually, they got the idea.

Also, I initially thought nesting box curtains were kind of silly. But once more than one hen started laying, I had two that would throw a BIG fit if any other hen would come into the run or coop while they were laying. They would actually get up and run the other hen off!! Well....we now have nesting box curtains and our morning DRAMA is much reduced :) One of my favorite things now is to take my morning coffee on the deck and watch them "post up" for laying. Be patient...they will lay. It's all worth it!!

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    New layers can be quite goofy acting, they don't know what they are doing at first and can be confused and anxious, it can take up to a month or so before they get it all figured out. Putting some fake eggs or golf balls in the nest might help show them where to lay. They may scratch around in the nests for weeks before laying, spreading the bedding everywhere. They will scratch around a bit less in nest as they get used to the routine. Meanwhile, eggs everywhere, some of them can be rather funky looking, soft or thin shelled, huge double yolked eggs.

Signs of onset of lay---I've found the pelvic points to be the most accurate.
    Squatting:
    If you touch their back they will hunker down on the ground, then shake their tail feathers when they get back up.
    This shows they are sexually mature and egg laying is close at hand.

Combs and Wattles:
    Plump, shiny red - usually means laying.
    Shriveled, dryish looking and pale - usually means not laying.
    Tho I have found that the combs and wattles can look full and red one minute then pale back out the next due to exertion or excitement, can drive ya nuts when waiting for a pullet to lay!

Vent:
    Dry, tight, and smaller - usually not laying.
    Moist, wide, and larger - usually laying

Pelvic Points 2 bony points(pelvic bones) on either side of vent:
    Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
    More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by