Readying the 1/2 in 1/2 out, roll out nest!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SmokinChick, Aug 10, 2011.

1. SmokinChick

SmokinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Kingsville, MD
    The older birds are 16 weeks old. All the egg posts have us eagerly awaiting.
    So, I went and opened and finished the roll out nest boxes. I am using Opa's design with some mods. I think the biggest mod is having half the box in the coop and the other half outside for easy collecting. I had some rubber for the curtain but I was concerned about its stiffness. Then I placed a piece of it in the freezer, it was stiff and useless. Never would allow the egg to roll under it. So I used some landscaping fabric, the stuff doesn't fray and is tuff to cut. I have my egg collection bucket hook installed, a couple of handles for the boxes and I'm set.
    Thanks Opa, I'm sure these boxes will be great.
    P.S. Should I glue a fake egg to the pads to get them started?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

If you want to encurage them you can just put a white golf ball in there.[​IMG]

3. SmokinChick

SmokinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Kingsville, MD
    A golf ball and a fake egg will roll down hill! Should I glue a golf ball or fake egg in place? Or wait and see? If they use the nest I won't worry about it.

4. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

glue velcro, or a spot of brushy stuff to the bottom of your fake egg so it can stay on those gray spikey things. You may not want to always have your fake egg there, once they start laying. cool duck hook BTW.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by