1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

real estate listings show coop photos

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SueT, May 23, 2016.

1. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    [​IMG]

While looking for a new home, I've noticed that many real estate listings now prominently feature pics of the chicken coop. This has become a must have for many buyers, and it definitely makes me look more closely at the property. I may overlook problems with the house if there's a nice chicken coop!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  2. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]I think it's great that realtors now mention and show pics of a chicken coop that comes with the property!
    Thanks for sharing that info as I had no idea! Kinda makes us chicken people happy!
    Good luck as your search for your new chicken friendly property!

3. BruceAZ

BruceAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2016
    Valley of the Sun :)
    also it might turn away certain buyers

i met a gentleman at work who grew up on a farm.

when i asked him about raising chickens, his response to me was "no, i had enough of chickens"

not many will want to deal with the upkeep of raising chickens

4. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    True it probably will turn away certain buyers or cause them write a rider to the contract that it be removed.

Swimming pools also delete approximately 50% of potential buyers, not everyone wants the expense, upkeep or the potential danger. I had a in ground pool once, never every every again!!!

It was the main reason I went with a shed as a coop. If I move you just have a shed.

5. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    Guess we're weird, we have chickens and a pool :-/

6. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    No not weird at all. I hope it didn't come across that way.

When I had my pool it seemed like I spent more time cleaning etc than in it and after I found the 2nd dead raccoon in it not to mention other things (plus my kids where grown and gone) I decided I was moving.

I am also a mortgage underwriter and people get really made when they spend 50K on a pool and the appraiser gives them 25K in value for the pool, the reason the pool of buyers just went down with the pool.

Enjoy the pool this summer.

7. TerryH

TerryH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2016
    NW Arkansas
    My Coop
    No interest in a pool but I like our chickens. :yiipchick

And....I'm never, ever selling my house anyway.

8. TerryH

TerryH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2016
    NW Arkansas
    My Coop
    My wife works at a bank. She said that one of the lenders was doing a loan today for some people that bought a house contingent on the seller leaving the coop and the chickens. I'd leave our coop, but leave the chickens??? I don't think so. [​IMG]

9. csaylorchickens

csaylorchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2015
    California
    My Coop
    I wouldn't leave my girls behind! Not only are they my beautiful fluffy butts that make amazing eggs, but you don't know if they know how to raise and care for chickens. I have been to some peeps houses that have cHackensack and they don't know anything about upkeep. :/

10. Ballerina Bird

Ballerina Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2014
    I put my house on the market and had a buyer in a week; the realtor featured my coop and birds prominently in the listing photos. I would never leave my girls behind either, but coops definitely add cuteness appeal in some communities.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by