Real Genetics Puzzler for the Experts (New Pics post #25)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by speckledhen, Apr 2, 2009.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The three week old chick in the pictures below is a real shocker. Sire is my big Blue Orpington, Suede. Mother is my big flaming red Meg, a RIR/Buff Orp cross. Both came from the same source, who has had no barred birds, to my knowledge. This is barring, right? Just have to confirm what I'm seeing.( Julie? Love your input here!) SO, how did I get a barred chick from that cross? And before you say it, no Barred Rock rooster jumped into the Blue Orp pen with Meg. There would have been major bloodshed with Suede in charge. Meg had been living with Suede and his blue Orp ladies for several months. It's not even possible that an illicit mating took place. Love to hear your take on this one, experts.
    It was the only brown egg amongst the blue eggs under my broody hen and is the only one with a single comb, so I know for certain the chick is Meg's. It even has a spot on its head like a BR, but my pens are separate and no Barred Rock had gotten out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  2. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Hmm, we were wondering the same about one of our JG/BO mix. S/he appears to have barring going on and we only own Jerseys and Buffs. I will be watching this thread close!

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You know Jared hatched out some chicks and got a naturally occuring barred gene and is now duplicating it with the intent to produce a flock. Wouldn't that be gorgeous!!

4. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Was he the one that used black and white orpingtons to get the barring to show? With Suede being blue, is it possible he carried the throwback gene? Maybe even Meg carries it, but I'm not up on the histories of the creation of the buff orpington lines.

5. speckledhen

Hmm, this is really interesting. I remember Buster's barred chick. Suede came from Julie's (BamaChicken) Blue Boy and one of the hens, dont know if it was blue, black or splash. Meg was from her big RIR rooster she used to have with those gorgeous exhibition size Buff Orpingtons.

6. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Could I show my Jersey Giant/Buff Orp cross pics. I am wondering if yours has the same feathers on it's chest area. I just don't want to disrupt the thread.

7. speckledhen

Sure, you can post a pic in the thread. [​IMG]

8. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Ok thanks [​IMG] She's 3 weeks
    [​IMG]

9. speckledhen

Pretty little thing! You know, I don't recall precisely what Meg's baby's chest looks like. I'll have to check on that tomorrow because it's raining and getting dark here. She certainly is barred, isnt he/she?

10. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Yes VERY barred. I wonder if the cross with the buff has something to do with it since you are seeing the barring effect as well? And thank you for the compliment, she or he is our very special chick that almost didn't make it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by