Real Skinny Pullets =\

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sixlittlechicks09, Aug 16, 2010.

1. sixlittlechicks09

sixlittlechicks09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    Hey everyone, hope you're all doing well.
    I changed zip tie leg bands on my flock today, it gives me a chance to do some general inspections for bumblefoot and other diseases. As I started re-banding my 10 week old pullets and I noticed they felt skinny, real skinny. [​IMG] My 18 chickens get a scoop of laying pellets, a scoop of scratch, a scoop of starter/grower and whatever they can scavenge during the day. My first thought is worms but the rest of my flock seems fat and happy? So then I thought maybe, due to pecking order, the younger pullets aren't getting the feed I throw out for them every day? If this is the case, does anyone have any ideas how I could feed separately? I've heard of people doing a separate part of the run for smaller chickens, but that wouldn't work as my OEGB are smaller than my 3 EEs and 3 BO pullets. Thanks so much!

(sorry if this is in the wrong section!)

2. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    You should also check for lice and mites that can make chickens thin

3. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    Maybe add another feeder so they have better access....maybe the older girls don't let them get to the feed???

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    When was the last time you wormed? What did you worm with?

Chris

5. sixlittlechicks09

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    Quote:[​IMG] I've never wormed. Terrible, I know, but I haven't a clue what to get, how to dose, and we've never had a worm problem. Their poos are looking normal though, so I didn't think it was worms.
    And a sidenote, I didn't notice they were thin because they're FLUFFY, really fluffy! So I don't know how long they've been losing weight [​IMG]

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    sixlittlechicks09,

Well what you could do is give her a dose of Ivomec.
    Ivomec injectable is used for treatment of worms in your fowl, and can be used to help keep external parasites, like Red Mites, down too.

You will need a syringe to get ivomec out of the bottle, and you can use it to apply the dosage listed below by holding the birds mouth open, and dripping it into the back of its throat. Another method is to apply the correct dosage to a piece of bread, then feed it to the bird you are treating.

* 5 to 7 drops orally for adult size birds.
    * 3 to 5 drops orally for bantam size birds.

It is recommended to worm your fowl on a regular basis, and this method will need to be repeated every 2 to 3 months to keep worms under control. In severe cases, you may want to retreat the bird 10 days after the initial treatment, to make sure you take care of the problem.

Ivomec can be purchased at most farm supply stores in the cattle section.

Take care not to eat the eggs after treating with Ivomec until the treated fowl has laid at least five to seven eggs.

Chris

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  7. sixlittlechicks09

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    Quote:Should I worm the whole flock?
    I'll do what needs to be done, but it'll kill me not to eat the eggs, they just started laying! [​IMG] What about the hens that aren't laying yet, but are close to it?

8. sixlittlechicks09

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    I really have to say, I don't think it's worms. I'm by no means an expert, but they've all got solid, normal looking poos.

9. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Hi sixlittlechicks09, Did you notice if your birds at the bottom of the pecking order are thinner than expected compared to the birds at the top of the pecking order? I think when you have discrete feeding times (as opposed to having food available in a large feeder all the time) it's easier for the top birds to exclude the lower ranking birds. I have six birds too and there is one at the bottom that was always excluded from the feeder until the others are done. I've taken to feeding them in three different locations so that the low ranking bird can find a place to eat before the food is all eaten. Of course, this is not to say you don't have worms, just that this might be an issue that you can immediately assess and correct. Good luck.

10. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    You stated you only give them a few scoops of feed a day per 18 chickens. While free-ranging is a great time to get goodies the younger ones might not be able to compete with the older hens, and the olders ones might be most of the feed that you do offer. I'd put out more feeders for the pullets to make sure the older girls leave them some food to eat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by