Really bad diarrhea

Pics

fatimastic

Songster
Aug 26, 2020
Pakistan
My Australorp hen has a really bad diarrhea. The intensity of it goes up and down. I've dewormed her but it made no affect. Feathers around her vent are all worn out even though she just grew out a really new, beautiful layer of them. Her diarrhea has no blood. Just water with some droppings. She is the lowest in the pecking order. She had bumblefoot on both of her feet. I've cleaned out the left foot, and I'm working on the right.
Any idea what I should do?

Attachments

• 20220224_145047.jpg
    20220224_145047.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 20220207_143001.jpg
    20220207_143001.jpg
    617.6 KB · Views: 11
How is her behavior? Acting sick?

Watery poop can mean many things. The least concerning would be that she's been either drinking a lot of water or eating something high in water content like squash or melon.

It can mean a blockage somewhere in the digestive tract or reproductive tract. If she's behaving a little "off", this may be the cause. It often will affect the crop, so if she has a slow crop, failing to empty completely over night, this points to a blockage.

If she's recently been laying eggs with poor shell quality, this may indicate an egg has gotten stuck.

If the crop is full and hard and lumpy, however, it may point to an impacted crop and this can cause thirst and the hen will drink a lot of water.

Does any of the above fit with your hen?

How is her behavior? Acting sick?

Watery poop can mean many things. The least concerning would be that she's been either drinking a lot of water or eating something high in water content like squash or melon.

It can mean a blockage somewhere in the digestive tract or reproductive tract. If she's behaving a little "off", this may be the cause. It often will affect the crop, so if she has a slow crop, failing to empty completely over night, this points to a blockage.

If she's recently been laying eggs with poor shell quality, this may indicate an egg has gotten stuck.

If the crop is full and hard and lumpy, however, it may point to an impacted crop and this can cause thirst and the hen will drink a lot of water.

Does any of the above fit with your hen?
Her behaviour is actually fine. Since she is the lowest in the pecking order, she tends to stay away from the rest. When I let them free range, she acts active. But she does behave a little off here and there. Sometimes she is really active and the other she tends to stay away and mind her own business.

She is a year and a half old and she stopped laying eggs many months. Her abdomen is not big, so we can rule out ascites amd eyp.

She drinks water a little bit more than the rest. Since it's morning here, I'll have to observe her tomorrow to see whether her crop is emptyinh or not.

Her behaviour is actually fine. Since she is the lowest in the pecking order, she tends to stay away from the rest. When I let them free range, she acts active. But she does behave a little off here and there. Sometimes she is really active and the other she tends to stay away and mind her own business.

She is a year and a half old and she stopped laying eggs many months. Her abdomen is not big, so we can rule out ascites amd eyp.

She drinks water a little bit more than the rest. Since it's morning here, I'll have to observe her tomorrow to see whether her crop is emptyinh or not.
A year and a half old bird who stopped laying eggs when? How long ago?
Did she molt?

A year and a half old bird who stopped laying eggs when? How long ago?
Did she molt?
She and her buddy actually went through a huge molt! The buddy started laying regular eggs like 2 months ago, but I'm unsure about when she stopped laying.

She was never a good layer,but I believe around June- july of 2021 when she was around 9-10 months old? I'm unsure about when she last laid an egg. She last laid a shell less egg in front of me back in May. After that I'm not so sure.

She and her buddy actually went through a huge molt! The buddy started laying regular eggs like 2 months ago, but I'm unsure about when she stopped laying.

She was never a good layer,but I believe around June- july of 2021 when she was around 9-10 months old? I'm unsure about when she last laid an egg. She last laid a shell less egg in front of me back in May. After that I'm not so sure.
What did you use to deworm with?
What exactly do you feed your birds?

What did you use to deworm with?
What exactly do you feed your birds?
I used Albendazole.

Their feed consists of corn,millet, wheat, sunflower seeds and another supplement. I don't have a picture of it, but I'll be sure to take it in the morning.

Attachments

• images (10).jpeg
    images (10).jpeg
    26.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG-20220129-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20220129-WA0001.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom