Really Bad Feather Plucked Chook how do I stop it

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cross2Twins, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Cross2Twins

Cross2Twins Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2012
    Victoria, Australia
    Hi BYC

My chooks are 25 weeks old are have just started laying. A couple weeks ago we go a rid of 2 roos and replaced them with some Sussex hens. We had 4 Gold Laced Wynadottes and 4 Legbars. We now have 2 Gold Laced Wyandottes, 4 Legbars and 2 Sussex. Now my problem is that since these chooks has come in to the flock 1 of the GLW has been put to the botom of the pecking order and has her food stolen all the time. So she is plucking feathers from the GLW rooster. Which he now has no back feathers and hardly any tail feathers and he was a show bird. So what are so remidiesd I can make or get!

This is the culprit and her acomplice

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now the this is the poor boy

He was this
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

He now is
    [​IMG]

Somone please help me!!!!
    I need this problem fixed please tell me so suggestions!

2. countrygoddess

countrygoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

You've seen her doing this? He's not moulting?

3. chiqita

chiqita Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2011
    San Jose, Ca
    If you are sure its a hen, get her peepers I think they are called. Its a piece of plastic you put on their beak a bit like glasses that keeps them from pecking out feathers. No idea how it works, but I have a friend that uses it.

4. Cross2Twins

Sep 17, 2012
    Victoria, Australia
    Country goddess he isn't mounting. It is now happening the other but there not as worse and yes I seen her doing it to other chooks

5. Ridersutton

Ridersutton Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2012
    Hey, I'm having a simmilar issue with one of my hens loosing her feathers, but I'm not sure who or what is doing it. I'm pretty sure she isn't molting just judging how she looks compared to the other hen that is molting, but this is my first year with chickens so I'm not completely sure...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any ideas on how to help her would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

6. rebecca82

rebecca82 New Egg

Feb 13, 2013
    I have a product called 'Rooster Booster - Pick-no-more lotion'. It has tea tree oil and aloe in it to help heal, and it is a blue color which repels chickens. I put it on my rooster at night to keep my hens from picking him. You do have to put it on daily until new feathers grow back. I got it at mypetchicken.com. But you will probably be able to find it anywhere that sells chicken supplies.

7. Ridersutton

Ridersutton Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2012
    Thanks so much! I will be sure to check it out!

8. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    You guys need to put saddles on them!

9. Cross2Twins

Sep 17, 2012
    Victoria, Australia
    Thanks guys we tried new food and other thing and now the Glw is pecking not pecking at all it is the accomplice any more ideas?

10. cardy

cardy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2013
    Hi guys have you managed to sort the feather plucking? I have 6 girls and 5 of them are really bald from this. I need as many ideas to stop this they look very shabby! The girls are all still laying and I have tried adding extra protein but that has had no effect, they are still getting worse. Is it worth getting 5 saddles to protect the girls from the one pecking them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by