Really Bad Hair Day!! (Question about molting)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by momof4boys, Mar 23, 2009.

1. momof4boys

momof4boys Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2009
    battle ground, WA
    These are pictures of my BLRW last fall. I went to the chicken house one morning and thought something had tried to eat her in the night! There were feathers everywhere!! The poor thing would shiver on those cold mornings.[​IMG]
    How common is it for hens to molt so drasticly? I seem to recall her molting heavily her first year but not this bad! All my other hens have molted much slower and w/ less bareness.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is her in her normal state w/ her chick she hatched last spring.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Anyone have similar experiences? I'm not concerned about her, I'm just curious. Thanks

2. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    Oh my goodness! She's almost naked. Her feathers did grow back out right?

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have some bald necked and bald-headed women in my own coop. Poor things are so moth-eaten! I wish they all molted at the same time, but some did it last fall and some are in full molt right now.

4. granmahen

granmahen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Bakersfield, CA
    My white leghorn is just getting over a very huge moult (she wouldn't let me take her pic but looked a lot like yours. Funny, her feathers are coming back after a month and the other ladies are finally treating her better. Wait until it happens to them.[​IMG]

5. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Oh my! That poor poor baby. But look at all those lovely new feather seedlets! She will have the last laugh when the other hens start going through this.

My white EE is obviously doing something right now. There are feathers EVERYWHERE! But not a bald spot on the chicken.

6. momof4boys

momof4boys Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2009
    battle ground, WA
    jbowyer01, yes, she grew them all back pretty quickly and looks as beautiful as ever![​IMG]

7. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Oh. My. Gosh [​IMG] I just about fell over laughing! Poor gal!

8. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    Thanks for the laugh [​IMG] I cant wait to see what my orps look like!

9. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

From what happened when my roo molted that bird looks pretty darned good! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by