Really Bad Hair Day!! (Question about molting)

momof4boys

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 21, 2009
battle ground, WA
These are pictures of my BLRW last fall. I went to the chicken house one morning and thought something had tried to eat her in the night! There were feathers everywhere!! The poor thing would shiver on those cold mornings.
sad.png

How common is it for hens to molt so drasticly? I seem to recall her molting heavily her first year but not this bad! All my other hens have molted much slower and w/ less bareness.
25622_100_2374.jpg

25622_100_2399.jpg

This is her in her normal state w/ her chick she hatched last spring.
smile.png

25622_100_1848.jpg

Anyone have similar experiences? I'm not concerned about her, I'm just curious. Thanks

My white leghorn is just getting over a very huge moult (she wouldn't let me take her pic but looked a lot like yours. Funny, her feathers are coming back after a month and the other ladies are finally treating her better. Wait until it happens to them.
D.gif

Oh my! That poor poor baby. But look at all those lovely new feather seedlets! She will have the last laugh when the other hens start going through this.

My white EE is obviously doing something right now. There are feathers EVERYWHERE! But not a bald spot on the chicken.

Back
Top Bottom