Really Bad Hen

seminolewind

Flock Mistress
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Sep 6, 2007
Corydon, Indiana
I have a hen who's 1.5 years old and actually GROWLS and attacks!!! She's a Blue JG. Not even the JG roo will approach her. She actually pecked my 4 year old JG today and growled. Yes, I've tried separating her for a few months with another hen. Didn't work. It's not pecking order either. She growls, for heaven's sake!!!!

Does anyone else have a vicious hen?

Quote:
I have one named Lacy, but I call her nasty girl. She bites - grabs, holds and twists. I hate when she is in the nest box and I need to get eggs. She is the queen of her flock. She is a silkie mix of all things.

She doesn't growl though. Hisses, but no growling.

Quote:
I have one named Lacy, but I call her nasty girl. She bites - grabs, holds and twists. I hate when she is in the nest box and I need to get eggs. She is the queen of her flock. She is a silkie mix of all things.

She doesn't growl though. Hisses, but no growling.

I have some mean girls. So far they just like beating up the boys. Lester who is the main rooster pretty much lets the ladies run the show now. He is getting lazy cus they now do all the main policing in the flock.

Poor Peaches got really whooped the other day. He tried to sneak up on the meanest Ameraucana pullet but she turned around so fast he did not have time to react cus she grabbed his comb, pulled his head to the ground, and held him there. He managed to wiggle free but Peaches made the mistake of trying to one up her. He leaped into the air to ninja kick her only she did not budge but just glared and waited for him to land. She grabbed him again and held him down by his comb.

Ofcourse your girl sounds like she can out mean mine.
tongue.png

I have an EE that growls. She doesn't seem to be queen bird, just easy to tick off. Don't come within 3 feet of her as she wastes 4 hours producing one gorgeous blue egg. She opens her beak and GROWLS, not a hiss, a growl. She also is only girls that bites if I try to get her eggs. Very accurate stab! Must have taken lessons from the cat.
hu.gif

WOWZA! Just had my first experience today. One of my erstwhile docile hens turned on me like a bad dog!!! Battle chronicled in the thread "Got Flogged by a Rooster Tonight."

Amazing coinkidink, or.....
idunno.gif

i have a grumpy hen and her is name is mrs b. my girls know to never peck at me because i peck back with my fingers
smile.png
i do not take aggressiveness from my girls, they know who is boss

This is all very interesting. I've had a problem with a "mean chick". A beautiful little Golden Laced Wyandotte. She was only mean to hens. She kept the coop in chaos. I found her a home with roosters. I think she needed was to be dominated and there was no hen that would stand up to her. I wouldn't put up with a hen that pecked me! I am at the top of the pecking order in THIS flock! Best of luck!
thumbsup.gif

My Clarice is very much the Alpha Chicken. So far even Bianco the roo (he's 5 mos old) kowtows to her.
wink.png
She's the smallest one of the 4 but everyone does what she says. Personally, I've never touched her--she was a stray, abandoned by the old neighbors, and the new neighbors grabbed her for me when she roosted in their tree at night. We've been together nearly 7 years now (she's 8+) and she still thinks I'm Satan.
smile.png
But I think that her very meanness is part of what has made her so strong and healthy! Until she went into molt, she was still laying 3-4 eggs a week!

I greatly respect Clarice for her chutzpah and unwillingness to bow to anyone--human or chicken!
smile.png

This hen will actually chase other hens down to peck at them. If she doesn't behave herself, I will have to put her in with my lone rooster.

Clarice is a benevolent dictator--she doesn't hurt the other girls (as long as they toe the line, which they all do!).
wink.png
I predict that there will be some ISSUES w/ Bianco once he comes into his rooster-ness. NOT really looking forward to that!

Back
Top Bottom