Really bad news ( horse related kinda graphic)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by hunterjumper999, Jan 19, 2010.

1. hunterjumper999

hunterjumper999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2008
    Box Springs
    tonight I met a wonderful man. he was a cowboy, but kind of gentle.. he didn't believe in forcing anything but he had no problem letting a horse fight its self.

He came to take my free to a good home little paint weanling. She was too much for us and too wild for me to tame alone.

he lived in an awesome horsey area, had been looking for a bald face paint for three years and found mine.

he had to rope her, but since my catch pen is pretty safe it was all fine.

she fought hard but finally put the halter on and got her leading in the pen. he would have gotten her loaded JUST FINE if she had not slipped on the ( i really want to use a horrible word here) stall mat. She went down ( for the 3rd time this evening) and fell funny. she broke her fetlock joint and her foot was at a 90 degree angle to her leg, with bone showing on the bottom.

We euthenized her and the worst part was seeing this man, his friend and my friend whom i called over to euth. her bawling like little girls. it proved to me ( i still have yet to cry, i think i'm numb) that some decent people still exist.

he took her home with him to bury. which i think proves he's an exceptional human being. most people would say she's my problem since he hadn't bought her yet.

did i wait too long to find her a home? i've only had her about a month... so i was trying to gentle her down... she would let me pet her and ate from my hand. . .

2. cristina33

cristina33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    ma
    I am sorry [​IMG]

3. heritagebirds

heritagebirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Eastern Shore MD
    I so sorry, that is horrible, what happened. I would have been bawling right along with them, I'm sure it is not real to you yet, but if it happened to my colt, I would be heartbroken. That is such a shame.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  4. Buugette

Buugette [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    [​IMG]

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Darn! Thats so heartbreaking sad... [​IMG] So sorry.. [​IMG]

6. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

I'm sorry, too. Sometimes some beings only have a short time on earth. It doesn't seem fair, but it is just that way. Accidents happen.

I'm glad you were surrounded by good people. Big hug for your tragic loss and the pain you feel.

7. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    WoW - Wha a sad story [​IMG]
    So sorry.

8. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    That is so sad!

You ask if you waited too long to find her a home, but you had only had her a month? What was the history? Was she a wild horse? If she was not wild, may I ask why she was not already halter broke, leading and tying before you got her?

Sorry, but I have raised and trained horses for much of my life, I have made mistakes, but every weanling I sell, leads, loads, clips, ties and generally has been to a few shows and knows basic ground manners at the least.
    This is one of my biggest pet peeves, people having babies and not halter breaking them when they are little and it is much easier on human and horse. I have a friend, he raises nice horses, they have great bloodlines, but in his pasture now he has 3 2 year olds that have only had halters on a handful of times, and that was when I went over and did it and tried to work with them, that was when they were yearlings and one was already almost 15 hands and too much for my little 5'1" self.
    I halter broke 2 different 2 year olds that he had a couple years ago, it was not easy.

Sorry, I will get off my soapbox now, just wondering the history.

I am so sorry for the loss and yes the guy that came to get her was an extraordinary man.

9. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Im so sorry that happened, but it was an accident. Ive seen dead broke calm quiet horses have accidents like that, so don't beat yourself up over it. Thats why they are called accidents.

10. bantamamba

bantamamba Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Very sorry for your loss. How saddening for everyone involved.

It was just an accident. I know that doesn't make it hurt any less but that is the way it is with horses (and life). I used to know somebody who's extremely promising Friesian filly apparently hit her head in the middle of the night and passed away without anyone knowing. You can have the calmest horse in the universe and it can still slip and break it's leg, or get into a million other situations. Not your fault.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by