Really bad pecking

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hollywood Chickens, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    One of my 13 week old chicks has gotten pecked really badly on the head, all the way to her skull!!!

I isolated her, but what can I put on it to help it heal? the local feed store does not carry blue-kote or anything like that.

Is there any household item that can help? she seems perfectly happy and active.

2. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Oh, poor girl! Put some neosporin without pain reliever on the wound. Be sure to keep her isolated until it heals completely. It wouldn't hurt to give her a few treats to help her feel better! [​IMG]

3. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Plain old Neosporin ointment, or whatever version you have in your house. It will be soothing to her, too.

Never use an cream or ointment on a chicken that has a "caine" drug in it as it can kill the chicken. (ex's are benzocaine, lidocaine, novacaine.)

4. CCFarms9559

CCFarms9559 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Jeffersontown, Ky
    I had this happen to one of my chicks. I got it scabbed over good and painted it with blue kote, but they would not leave her alone. I finally rehomed her. Just make sure you don't put her back in until she has feathers over it or they will pick it right back open.

Also, I gave mine antibiotics in her water too. (duramycin)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

But the more serious issue is going to be to figure out WHO is doing this and why (do you have a bully? is overcrowding a problem?), because healing her isn't going to do any good if she goes right back into that situation. Hope she heals quickly, poor thing... [​IMG]

6. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Actually, the pain reliever in Neosporin is not a "caine" drug and is safe for chickens -- I have used it. I only say this because it seems the stores are mostly stocking the kind with the pain reliever.

7. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    I agree I've used it also. Didn't hurt my hen at all.

8. Hollywood Chickens

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    I don't think it is overcrowding, the have 1500 sq. ft for 36 chickens.

I don't have any bullies either.

9. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'd guess the chick somehow got a little blood on her head and they then pecked it. It doesn't take much; I have seen them peck one drop. Let's hope you can put him back after he is healed.

10. Hollywood Chickens

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    I hope so, idk why they started pecking her like that, she is very slow feathering out so maybe that is it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by