Really bad splay leg?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Floof, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Floof

Floof Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2015
    I hatched out some jumbo coturnix quail last week and have had some issues with one of my chicks. At first it just seemed like mild splay leg and so I bandaided her legs into the right place. Every day I've taken it off and checked but it just gets worse and worse. The last few days her leg looks like it's totally out of its socket. It's really disconcerting to see it flop around at bad angles and she flopped around in a circle before I could pick her up and help her sit down by her water and food. I don't know what to do :hit

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Check out this website 'PoultryPedia.com', it may not be splayed legs but maybe a slipped tendon?
    I thought a chick I had had splayed legs, then slipped tendon but after BYC members help discovered it had "Curly Toe Paralysis". Started off like splayed legs before the toes started curling. It was said due to vitamin deficiency, after 2wks of treatment & some exercise, he's "normal".
    Maybe best to separate to keep it from getting trampled or picked on. Try putting it in a sling or cup/bowl to keep it up right & from flopping around, offering food & water periodically.

More experienced BYC members will be peeping in to help out, good that you've posted pictures. Good luck

3. Floof

Sep 28, 2015
    Thank you so much for the reply! I'll check out that website right now.

4. Floof

Sep 28, 2015
    So I read that websites section on splay leg and slipped tendons and then watched some YouTube videos for the tendon issue. Now, looking at this chicks legs, I'm not seeing any red on the back of her legs and she's able to straighten and bend them. The problem seems like it's her hips? Her leg just sort of flops from the hip joint if I don't have them bound with the band aids. She stands with her booty up in the air and her head down low and often uses her wings to support her. Should I just make a little chair for her and hope for the best?

5. BobDBirdDog

BobDBirdDog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2014
    Tennessee
    Its hard to do but I have tied cotton string on to both leggs (about where the red tape is now) about a finger width apart and it seems to work sometime. Looks kind of like a set of leg irons on a chick. The concept is simple, it pulls the leg into socket during the first few days of life when the bones and ligaments are growing in place.Just dont tie it too loose or too tight. Hopefully, the tendon will stretch and grow normal. Like I said, it sometimes works.

6. Floof

Sep 28, 2015
    [​IMG]

Here is a photo I've just taken. She seems to wince in pain every time the leg or joints are touched. Any suggestions? I've tried the method of binding the legs, and it doesn't seem to be helping. Next I'm going to try a suspension chair to reduce what seems to be her pain.

7. Floof

Sep 28, 2015
    Here is the most recent plan: the quail hammock. I cut a hole in a laundry detergent bottle, and placed a piece of electrical tape across the hole, leaving enough slack in the middle. The quail is sitting what seems to be comfortably and is now eating. Thoughts?[​IMG][/IMG]

8. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI

9. Floof

Sep 28, 2015
    I don't have any vets around me that treat "exotic animals" but one of them offered to help put it down if I needed help culling it. I want to exhaust all possibilities before considering that though.

1 person likes this.
  10. BobDBirdDog

BobDBirdDog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2014
    Tennessee
    Having been in the martial arts, I have dislocated my knuckle joints at the palm several times and it is not as painful as resetting it yourself. Afterwards is when the pain comes as I could not use my hand for a couple of days (tried to punch through 6 inches of solid a wood stack and hit it wrong). Breaking boards and cement blocks is not fake or rigged by the way. Done both but just hit wrong! lol

So...... the pain may be from the bones/joints resetting (or not). If the leg is regrowing into the socket, then it will be painful for a week or so.
    When the chick was born all the ligaments, tendons were soft and pliable, and the joint is in it socket, but after hatch the bird stretches out everything hardens so to speak. If dislocated at birth the joint hardened out of socket (and the tendons as well) and may be deformed to some unknown. The tendons will be stretching if you are able to get the hip back in socket so you will need to allow extra time for the chick to re-stretch the tendon to natural form/length (if it will) as not to pull the joint back out of socket.

This part sounds bad (as it may be painful to the chick) but once a day I would hold the chick by the string/leg and let it hang upside down for a about a minute and let it swing as to try and naturally set the leg joint back in socket. but dont over do it.
    The weight of the body extends (or takes the pressure off) the joint and sometimes it will pop back into place, at least for the moment. as well as stretches the tendon.

As I said before, """""it works sometimes"""". The other times I grew weary of the non success, special attention and efforts and culled the bird. I only was able to save about 30%???? of the ones with this issue. Perhaps culling is a consideration. If the incubation was done right, turning and such....then it may be some genetic issue that will be passed along if it breeds.
    • Crooked neck earns any of my chicks early termination.
    • Crooked toes is a simple fix. Metal duck tape cut into diamonds/triangles and fold in half to crease the tape to make a triangle . Unfold and Peal away to expose the sticky and place the foot on the tape, straighten the toes in their natural spread and fold the other half of the triangle, over all three toes. Gently press together to hold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by