Really big crops...eating too much in cold weather?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by buckaroo's wife, Jan 11, 2011.

1. buckaroo's wife

buckaroo's wife Songster

Dec 10, 2009
    North Central Texas
    Maybe I'm crazy or unobservant....both may fit! I came home today (early, in the daylight for once!) and noticed that my hens all seemed to have bigger-than-normal crops. Now, this is the end of the day, they've free-ranged all day, and it's COLD here (high just under freezing). I also just switched them to pellet feed because my store was out of crumbles. My question(s) are: Do chickens tend to eat more, when it's cold, for warmth? Can switching their feed from crumbles to pellets cause an issue? Should I pick up their feed at night and keep an eye on this? I threw out scratch this morning but I wouldn't think that would be the issue....I don't know though. I've never had an impacted crop and I'm not sure what to look for. Everyone was scratching around when i got home and acting normal.[​IMG]

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Crowing

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    They certainly do eat more when its cold since they burn more calories just staying warm - if they otherwise seem healthy, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

3. buckaroo's wife

buckaroo's wife Songster

Dec 10, 2009
    North Central Texas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by