Really big crops...eating too much in cold weather?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by buckaroo's wife, Jan 11, 2011.

1. buckaroo's wife

buckaroo's wife Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    North Central Texas
    Maybe I'm crazy or unobservant....both may fit! I came home today (early, in the daylight for once!) and noticed that my hens all seemed to have bigger-than-normal crops. Now, this is the end of the day, they've free-ranged all day, and it's COLD here (high just under freezing). I also just switched them to pellet feed because my store was out of crumbles. My question(s) are: Do chickens tend to eat more, when it's cold, for warmth? Can switching their feed from crumbles to pellets cause an issue? Should I pick up their feed at night and keep an eye on this? I threw out scratch this morning but I wouldn't think that would be the issue....I don't know though. I've never had an impacted crop and I'm not sure what to look for. Everyone was scratching around when i got home and acting normal.[​IMG]

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    They certainly do eat more when its cold since they burn more calories just staying warm - if they otherwise seem healthy, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

3. buckaroo's wife

buckaroo's wife Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    North Central Texas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by