Really bloody comb, in shock

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ondra's Seramas, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    My 8 week old serama was outside in the cage with all the others his age. It was wire. 15 minutes after I put him there, I went to check him. I found him with his head stuck in the wire. I dissentangled him. His comb was really bloody. I put neosporin on it. On the back of his comb, the wire cut through about 1/8? of an inch through the thickness of th comb at the base. I think that he stuck his head through the wire and a guinea pcked up the front of the comb and he cut it trying to get out. He really hasn't lost much blood. It has finally slowed to a trickle. He is normally very active, but now he just sits and sleeps. Of course he is my favorite one that I am harness training [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Ondra's Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    Anyone?

3. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe he is just worn out from the ordeal? I bet he struggled pretty hard to get loose.

4. Ondra's Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    He wasn't there for more than 10 minutes. I have seen him when he was REALLY tired, and it wasn't like this.

5. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    When our roos were fighting we would use flour to dry the blood quick. I agree he may be worn down or in a little shock, I hope he's ok! Just keep him warm and comfortable. See if he will take water or food.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  6. ronshoney

ronshoney Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Algonac, Michigan
    Not sure my rooster's comb has gotten pretty bloody from various injuries at different times but he has always recovered on his own without my intervention...........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by